Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after a bad year or two and having to sell the last couple of Cougars to help take care of family, and then to help move on from helping family, I have found myself a rust free 67 Cougar standard trim.

The story with this car is... I got an email from my clubs president passing on that someone was looking for a good home for this car, so being intrigued after reading the story I called to go look at it.

I arrived at a house with a couple of barns at the back. We went out to one of the barns, the PO opened up the door, and all I saw was this strait, rust free rolling shell. Turns out that the PO had to sell it as the city had purchased the land and was tearing down the barn within the next couple of days.. and if nobody bought the Cat it was going down with the barn.

I made an offer based on what he was talking about and I picked it up the same day they were ready to tear it down. Good timing!

The PO did allot of work to it in the past before storing it, like new floor pans, repairs to the cowls, subframe connectors, sandblasted allot of items like rear end, welded in extra support on the shock towers in the prone to fatigue areas, etc, etc.

I also got the contents of a full dry storage locker that had the complete remains of the car in it. In it all there was new suspension and steering parts, new Edelbrock carb, original 289, original C4 with a receipt of $1800 in rebuild and parts to withstand 400+ hp, 2500 stall converter, B&M Megashifter, beautiful like new tail lights, and nicely restored headlight assembly, and the list goes on and on.

So I get it all home and everything was labeled, tagged, bagged, and boxed by the PO so it made it so easy and every box I opened I had a smile on my face.

Now remember I just paid a third of what the rebuilt tranny cost.... For everything!

So here is my build thread, to finish off what this nice man started as he had the same dreams of the car as I have for it..

Now hopefully these posts won't go too far apart as I am also in the process of renovating the house that we bought 3 months ago, on a slight budget.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the beast out of the barn.

I cleaned the dust out and coated the floors then applied some FatMat that I had left over from another car.

Picked up a new wiring harness to rewire the whole car as I am not going through another fire at the firewall from a short again like my last 67!

Among the junk you can see the new stainless steel brake lines.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I just ordered the Mustang Steve front and rear Cobra disc brake brackets which will hopefully be here this week and lucked out and found some nice calipers from a local guy on Craigslist for a great deal. Here I completely cleaned and de-greased them and re-coated them with black caliper paint.

Here is the wheels and tires that came with the car. With the brake conversion they are too small at 14" and have to come off. (Anybody interested in buying these let me know. Really nice shape with near new rubber.)

Here are the replacement wheels and tires I wanted.

Here are the replacement wheels and tires I found on Craigslist from a local shop who was using them on a 68 Fastback project and changed them over to the FR500's. Got them for half price over new! Thanks Sean for helping me with this decision on the wheels!

Here's what the underside looks like so before I install the new brake line I will get under there this week and clean up the underside to get ready for a new coating. On the second pick you can see the subframe connectors are welded in. You can also see he had the rear end blasted but never coated it after so I will be on that next as well.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wow! you are blessed big time, and really moving along. What kind of sound deadening did you use? The cobra calipers, are they a newer mustang brake or are they meant for the older mustang/cougars?
You have a great project, looking forward to the build.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
those are sn95 cobra calipers, 1994-2004

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! you are blessed big time, and really moving along. What kind of sound deadening did you use? The cobra calipers, are they a newer mustang brake or are they meant for the older mustang/cougars?
You have a great project, looking forward to the build.
The sound deadening I am using is FatMat left over from another project. I just had enough left as you could see.

I will also be using Al's Liner for the trunk and possibly the undercarriage as it is awesome stuff and you can tint it to whatever color you paint the car in.

The calipers are from a 2003 Cobra and I am waiting on my Cobra rotors and the Mustang Steve conversion brackets.

Now I have to find a good deal on a rack and pinion kit so I can get it to a full roller before I get to the body and engine.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The sound deadening I am using is FatMat left over from another project. I just had enough left as you could see.

I will also be using Al's Liner for the trunk and possibly the undercarriage as it is awesome stuff and you can tint it to whatever color you paint the car in.

The calipers are from a 2003 Cobra and I am waiting on my Cobra rotors and the Mustang Steve conversion brackets.

Now I have to find a good deal on a rack and pinion kit so I can get it to a full roller before I get to the body and engine.
When you get the rotors, will they be the same as the one's used on the 2003 cobra or made to work on our cars?
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you get the rotors, will they be the same as the one's used on the 2003 cobra or made to work on our cars?
Thanks,
Dennis
They are the same rotors that are on the 98-2003 Cobras and flex brake lines as well are from the SN95.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
One more question, Looking at your rims and tires, those things are really big and would not have thought a tire and rim of that size would fit the 67 and 68. What size are the rims and tires? Are they Foose?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mmmm stainless steel brake lines....nice stuff

what kind of tools/process are you going to use to clean up the undercarriage....she looks really clean

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question, Looking at your rims and tires, those things are really big and would not have thought a tire and rim of that size would fit the 67 and 68. What size are the rims and tires? Are they Foose?
Thanks again.
Yes they do fit as they are actually the same rims and tire size that SeanD has on his restomod.

They are Boss 338 rims made by American Eagle. The fronts are 18x8 with a 235/40/ZR18 and the rears are 18x9.5 with 245/40/ZR18 tire. Only thing that I may need to do is roll the inner rear wheel well to make sure there is no rubbing with hard suspension travel.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mmmm stainless steel brake lines....nice stuff

what kind of tools/process are you going to use to clean up the undercarriage....she looks really clean
I'll take the wire wheel or possibly my high speed sanding disc just to clean up the surface rust areas before applying some type of sealer and then spraying with Al's Liner. The undercarriage was already stripped down and sprayed with a rust inhibiting primer but you can see a few little spots that I'd like to make sure wont get worse.

I just epoxy coated the rear end this evening with one coat and we'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the delay in updates as I've been busy assembling and installing our Ikea kitchen cabinets. I curse the Swedes while putting it together but man they sure make it easier than it could be. (Slot A to Slot B!)

Just sprayed the underside of the floor with undercoat and used a Por 15 type of product on the frame rails. Unfortunately our postal service here is on strike and I'm waiting for my disc brake brackets, rotors and pads, 620 springs and perches.

Once they show up I will hopefully have some more pics.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
hurry up! lol :1poke:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I just received my 4 new cross drilled disc brake rotors and ceramic pads. Our postal service is still on strike and my Mustang Steve brake conversion brakets are stuck still somewhere. In the meantime I am just sanding down some of the old paint on the body.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pics are great. Keep sending them in. Almost feel as though we are holding the light for ya:)
Thanks! Be nice if someone could hold up these cabinets as I screw them it. Tried doing it with one hand and drill driver in the other and it slid down the wall and bonked myself good in the noggen! That's when I just said screw it for the night, have a beer and come on here to see whats happening. The wife wanted her pantry cupboard installed tonight so she could put stuff away out of boxes so I had to tell her to wait one more day.

Maybe I'll be posting pics on here soon on how not to install Ikea cabinets by yourself!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts