Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 7 months ago i moved from Washington state to Ohio for my job and i brought along a 1968 J code XR7. Well, now that everything has settled down a bit and the cold weather is setting in i thought that now would be a good time start my resto. Now, Im not trying to make the car perfect as i want to drive it alot so my plan is to start with the interior then move to the suspension, and then cosmetic work in the engine bay and finishing with the paint and body in the early summer.

Today i started the inside by gutting it. Now i have done acouple of cars before and even when i think that im starting with a solid car i find rotten floors. I was surprised to find zero spots need major repair just some surface rust but, nothing else.

Hopefully the rest of the car looks like this when i get into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really would like to see the pics. My boyfriend and I are restoring my 68 XR7 cougar. We have already put in a brand new front suspension. Now we are trying to do the back. He wants to put a Ford Explorer axle. The interior was really bad so we got new seats for it. He wants to make sure that I am comfortable driving it because it will be my daily driver. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyway the website wont let me upload images so, if you would like i posted a link to imageshack where i will upload pics til i can post on the site.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
the link said one must log in to view pics.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I think if you create an album and make it public and then post a link to the album it will make the pics so that one can scroll through them at the site. Anyway, from those pics it does not look like you have too much to do for restoration! Are any of those rusty areas of the floor and trunk have any through holes? If not, sand her down put some por15 on it and call it good!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
that album thing worked! How is the shiny side?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Added some outside pics of the car. Only 2 spots of any real rust and its only surface. I also ripped a piece of the top away in the rear corners to see if there was any rust under it and i didnt see anything. The more i get into this car the more amazed I am with it. You just dont see driven cars of this age in this kind of condition in Ohio. Im hopeing to find the build sheet some where in the car and I want to get a Marti report done but, the options that i know it has is tilt-away steering, PS,PDB,AC, 302 4bbl, AM-FM radio, center console, tinted windows and a vinyl roof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts