Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
This is what you get when you take your plain old tired cat in for new floor pans to be welded in! From this to what you see in the next 2 pics.

Your Links don't work

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'll have to retry that as I just set up some pics on a new server. That's Yahoo for ya!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I'll have to retry that as I just set up some pics on a new server. That's Yahoo for ya!
make sure your settings on the album are set for PUBLIC:smoke:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yea, i gotsta see it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here is a shot showing the reinforced fuel tank flange with the center sway bar mounts attached.
The angle is for the upper coil over mounts.
Note the panhard bar mount to the left.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Retry on the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Nice stance.
Are those 17" wheels?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Trust me, the car is never finished! All us Cougar owners who have done some resto work on them know this. I actually just had a wiring fire through the firewall by the brake booster due to old wiring that a previous owner cut and spliced into numerous times, so I just am finsihing the installation of a new wiring harness throughout the entire car. I'll include a pic of where the fire happened and you'll some some black charing and what the fire extinguisher did. I was very upset. The half picture is of it at my shop on a nice day last week wiring the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I forgot to mention that if you are restoring a Cougar like I did, repalce the wiring harness as it is well worth it as you can see. It is not as bad as it looked once I washed it and stripped the old wiring.

The stance was a bit of work to order the right height springs with the wheel and tire combo but turned out perfect. The wheels are 17x7 in the front with 225/45/ZR17 and the rear is 17x8" rims with 245/45/ZR17 tires. If you are wanting to get a lower stance with these wheels and tires make sure you roll the rear lips a shade as one good bump will nail it. I learned that one too. A little roll of the lip and it misses no problem.

I would like to go on the power tour but I have been away for our annual vacation every year when it starts. (My wife is mad enough at me for spending so much time with the cat and tells me to see if the car can be as cold as her when sleeping next to it!)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think I got the photo thing figured out instead of using my upload space. Here is on of the engine bay before the wiring fire and the mess the fire extinguisher made. Looks the same now after being cleaned. I was sooooo lucky!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have you had any problems with that filter? I've heard horror stories of those foam filters melting, getting sucked into the carb....

·
Registered
780 Posts
no not yet but I think I have to be able to drive it more to see. He, he!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Restomod-
I've owned my cougar since April of 1986 and ran the odometer from the 120k it had to well over 300k. 389k at last count, I think...
I'm currently going through the car for the second time cutting out rust and making it a driver again after a brief and fun fling as a small time drag racer.
And, finally rewiring.
So, I feel your pain. It's never done.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you had any problems with that filter? I've heard horror stories of those foam filters melting, getting sucked into the carb....

I had one on an Edelbrock 600CFM and sure enough, it sucked the filter right down into the carb. Fun times.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thats not too bad for usage between fix ups Cougarshamen..
I actually have the Edelbrock 600cfm on mine with 10.5:1 compression so she sucks the air really good through the carb and for the 16 miles on the car I haven't had the problem yet. I was hoping to put on another 16 but the wiing thing happened when I pulled it out of the shop.

I actually want to get the ram air style box on it kind of like the cold air intake on newer rice rockets. My friend has a 67 Fastback with one and it really made a difference when you hit the gas a 45mph.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
my best friend had one of those on his 280z with a 350 chevy, it was the only one we could find that would fit and it caught on fire from a carb backfire and melted into the carb, he had to buy a new carb because of it. he probablt could have had it rebuilt but every open port in the carb had that stuff melted into it so he just pitched it and bought a new one.

·
Registered
780 Posts
OK your making me want to chuck this in the bin now..

·
Contributing Member
5,863 Posts
The Edelbrock cleaner is a copy of the Lynx cleaner from the early 70's that is now sold by Redline (they purchased all the Lynx designs)

It had a mesh insert on the inside of the foam as well to stop it getting sucked into the carb.

If they are oiled up too much they can make for a spectacular fireball if you get a backfire

41 - 60 of 320 Posts