Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here are some more views of the rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
say what?

Man! where the heck have you guys been hiding?!?:eek2:

Do you know how long I have been dissed on this forum for cutting up and modifying a cougar?

Since the both of you fellas have done such sweet jobs of performing those mods, you now get to be exposed to all the ribbing that comes with the ability to fabricate, or install big engines into Cougars!

Very Nice Work Fellas!!!
Hats off to both of you guys!:evil:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Looks impressive! Is that Eastwood's red rust encapsulator on the bottom of the floors and frame? Also, that is the coolest "garage" I've ever seen- it's nicer than my basement with the wood paneling and all- i assume it's heated?

Don't forget to fully weld your upper a-arm/ upper shock mount brackets, they looked like they were just tacked at the time the photo was taken.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
:1poke:
Man! where the heck have you guys been hiding?!?:eek2:

Do you know how long I have been dissed on this forum for cutting up and modifying a cougar?

Since the both of you fellas have done such sweet jobs of performing those mods, you now get to be exposed to all the ribbing that comes with the ability to fabricate, or install big engines into Cougars!

Very Nice Work Fellas!!!
Hats off to both of you guys!:evil:

Now Shane, I have not been around mc.net as long as you, and my memory is not perfect, but I can't recall one time when you were "dissed" over modifying a Cougar. You might have been "dissed" because of your close association with a badger that lives in one of your cars, but I can't even say that for certain...
:beer:

Now, the owners of trailer queens have taken a lot of heat over the years, but maybe I'm just overly sensitive to that.
:smoke:

PS - some Cougars even came from the factory with big engines...
:1poke:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
LiLWrink, have any pics of yours here?

Clanceman427, that is Eastwoods Coreless.
That's a friends garage, he's a neat freak like I am. Yes it's heated.
Most of the work done is just tacked. That's when I stopped work.
And the A-arm mounts were redesigned as a one piece and still need to be installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great job. I used to "not want to cut up" our cars, but as I get older..I sure do appreciate the newer technology in the older cars.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was the same way, in fact I wasn't much for street rods.
But my car was nothing special except for the lack of rust.
It will look the same in and out, but when you look underneath or pop the hood... well then you'll notice.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The weight of the wing overpowers the factory lift, so I added lift struts.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yep...

I got pictures...>>> http://pics.thecurb.us/main.php?cmd=album&var1=LiLWrink/&var2=0

I havent taken any recent pictures...I will do that as I get my upholstery, and engine/transmission back in the car.

Chris you are right on, man...the (diss-ing) was entirely good natured, and taken in good nature, and should not be interprited as otherwise...

The Badger was unhappy about all the racket his neighbor (Me) were making in the shop next door, after much grumbeling and complaining he finally moved away.:evil:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The weight of the wing overpowers the factory lift, so I added lift struts.
That's great! Just adding a power lock to my 68 trunk overpowered the stock springs- can you tell us what length strut you used? I'd love to do this on my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That's great! Just adding a power lock to my 68 trunk overpowered the stock springs- can you tell us what length strut you used? I'd love to do this on my car.
Closed is +/- 7", extended is +/- 11" and stroke is +/- 4".
I know 60lbs was too strong so I believe I went with 30lb.
Once I get the car back from storage I can verify the details.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So you finally got to see pics of my Cougar.
Hopefully Jerry + Beth saw them as well.
I'll hold you to that 'help' offer Kyle.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Looks great!
Hope to see more progress soon!:1poke:
Juli:wave:

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Might as well project originally went in to get the new floor pans welded. I think I got carried away too.

Love the looks so far and can't wait to see pics as it progresses.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
992 Posts
looks great. the Eastwood coreless you mentioned, did you use spray cans or can you get it in cans to put into a spray gun? if so, is it a 2-part epoxy type, or can you spray it right out of the can, no mixing? Also, how is your front sheetmetal going to attach? will you be re-attaching the aprons somehow to provide attaching points for the front fenders? thanks.
Kevin

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I used both rattle can and a spray gun, it is not a 2 part epoxy.
I had planned to mimic the original engine bay, but will use boxtube to mount the fenders.
The boxtube will also hide wiring and ect...
I may add a flip front, I'm undecided.
Thanks for the questions.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is what you get when you take your plain old tired cat in for new floor pans to be welded in! From this to what you see in the next 2 pics.

21 - 40 of 320 Posts