Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to reset the brake warning light on my dashboard. If I remember right you step hard on the brake peddle and bleed the right rear wheel cylinder?
Thanks for any help.
DR.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
David,

Try the rear (either side, doesn't matter) and if the light doesn't go out, try the front (again, either side). And you should not have to press overly hard (or you could go past the center (off) position and back on the other side).

·
Registered
913 Posts
How long has the light been on, if this just happened you might be able to reset it, but most of the time these get stuck and won't reset without a cleaning of the distribution block.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How long has the light been on, if this just happened you might be able to reset it, but most of the time these get stuck and won't reset without a cleaning of the distribution block.
Good point Carlton.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They are not easy to clean - Don has a how to posted up on his site and or youtube if your feeling lucky! LOL Hopefully a little bleeding will get it done! Good Luck! That reminds me, I need to flush out the lines in mine this fall....easier that fighting that little rusted out spring which is what seems to happen....

·
Registered
252 Posts
After the distribution block is cleaned and recentered, but before installing the switch, I have found only one foolproof way to be sure that is remains centered while bleeding the brakes. I was unable to recenter it by stepping hard on the brakes, etc. Instead, get a cap nut that matches the switch threads. Then cut a small piece of heavy wire that fits into the centering slot and apply enough pressure with the cap nut to prevent the valve piston from moving. After the brakes are completely bled, remove the nut and wire and install the switch. It works every time.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
After the distribution block is cleaned and recentered, but before installing the switch, I have found only one foolproof way to be sure that is remains centered while bleeding the brakes. I was unable to recenter it by stepping hard on the brakes, etc. Instead, get a cap nut that matches the switch threads. Then cut a small piece of heavy wire that fits into the centering slot and apply enough pressure with the cap nut to prevent the valve piston from moving. After the brakes are completely bled, remove the nut and wire and install the switch. It works every time.
It can be difficult. For me what made it so was a brake light warning switch in which the return spring was stuck. Without the spring pushing the switch plunger back down, you'll never get the light to go out. Once I replaced the switch, it was a simple matter to center the switch/make the light go out using the bleeders.

Holding the shuttle centered until you have the brakes all set is fine too, preferable even.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kind of like this tool?

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/brake-valve-tool

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think I am going to invest in one of them!

·
Registered
913 Posts
68 uses the same tool, male threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts