Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you do that make sure your on the firing stroke not the exhaust stroke with the NO.1 cyilinder at TDC.I put a timing chain in but the guy who sold the car to me put it in 180% off.After we figured the stroke out it was a peice of cake.The (old timer) showed me by taking the plug out and put his finger over the hole to see if it sucked air or compressed it he also took the NO.1 side valve cover to doulble check .I hope I have that correct.If not some one will proof read it . good luck Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think I know what you mean by firing stroke but let me explain there is no such term. The 4 stroke engine has Intake, compression, power and exhaust. You were meaning compression stroke right? What are you saying was 180 out, the cam or dist. If the marks are lined up on the gears you cannot put the cam in 180 out. On the other hand if the dist is put in with the crank at tdc on the exhaust stroke (yes the crank will line up at tdc still because it turns twice to one rotation of the cam) instead of on the compression stroke, the dist will be 180 out.

In other words you have it correct by putting your finger in the #1 spark plug hole and turning the engine over to tdc when it blows compression and then set your dist in. If it don't slip right in you may have to turn the oil pump shaft slightly to line it up also.mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M.Mark

Thanks for refreshning .I"m Glad you understood what I was attempting to say.After screwing around all day with that I got a free motor flush with all the gas in the oil and plug fouling.Live and learn Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts