Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is "Just Dashes" the only supplier for reproduction dash pads for the 1968 cougars? if there are others what do people think are the best. Not the cheapest but the best? Mine is servicable it only has a couple little bubbles in it but was looking for the perfect one. or should I say one that looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Nothing will beat an original. I'd keep you eyes open for a good original and dye it if it isn't the color you need. That would be far superior to any reproduction. But, to answer your question, Just Dashes is the only company I've heard of that does quality work on stock reproduction dashes and door panels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought my black dash pad from dashes direct and I am very happy with the quality and heavy duty feel. The after market dash is far tougher (in my opinion) to the sun rotted old one that was sagging and cracked. Just my input.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
351CJ Hellcat, What about the smell? Describe the scratches on the top of the drivers side. How noticable are they? Was the dash bent in the middle when you got it? How close do you think it is to the original?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Doctordesoto, And you are happy with it? Does yours have the scratches on the drivers side? How close to original do you think it is?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
All the ones from Dashes Direct have identical scratches in the same spot... driver's side, close to the windshield. They are probably not too noticeable when it's in the car. They come in a triangular shaped box and always have a bit of a sag in the middle, but I'm told that they straighten out just fine when you bolt them up to your car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok good pictures to look at too. Now when you get these do you take the screen off of the old dash to put on the new ones over the defroster holes? The dash I have is the original. It is not warped but has six or seven small bubbles on top. Didn't notice them when the dash was in but now that I have found them probably won't ever get them out of my mind if I re-install that dash pad.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
screens stay on the defroster--mine still has a slight hump in the center--on our 67 , i had to trim it near the glass and it was hard to get the pass side windlace that goes around the side glass as the dash seemed to be tight there---i did not use the cougar style windlace in our car---the car is restomode style and i did away with alot of the cougar only fu-fu to get it the way i thought a gt car should look--i would recomend that the glass be out of the car for installatin , but not entirely necessary.because i was not going to use the stock dash speeker i also made a black abs blockoff plate for the dash--if there's anything you need to do under the dash--now is the time
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL I need to do everything under the dash. Right now car is completely stripped and getting media blasted. Should be done tomorrow and then epoxy sealed. After that prime and paint. Just not as fast as all that. I will be cleaning and rebuilding or replacing everything a piece at a time under the dash, along with the rest of the car. First was paint. I am considering a new dash pad as the one I have although not warped or cracked it has little bubbles under the vinyl. The windshield is out so that will help with installation if I decide to go Just Dashes. Would a "Just Dashes" dash pad hold up in a concourse judging event?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Don, Not sure what I will do as of now. Seems that Dash Direct or Just Dashes whatever is the only one out there? Might just stick with my original till something better comes along.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just installed one of the Dash Direct and I am very happy with the product. It seems thicker and more durable than the original. Mine had the scratch, but once installed it is very hard to see even when you know where it is.

Unless you are doing a concours correct, restoration I highly recommend the dash.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I just installed one of the Dash Direct and I am very happy with the product. It seems thicker and more durable than the original. Mine had the scratch, but once installed it is very hard to see even when you know where it is.

Unless you are doing a concours correct, restoration I highly recommend the dash.
Yes, every one of them has a built in scratch up by the windshield as the mould has damage. And you are correct, this is a much more durable product than the original.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts