Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have been a hardcore enthusiast of Classic Fords for a Long time. I currently have a large stable of Cougars, Mustangs, Thunderbirds and Rancheros. At times it has been a difficult process finding parts that aren't currently available, and once I do, trying to decide if it's worth the outrageous price the person is asking. Even "some" of the parts that are being reproduced, are not worth the asking price because of their lack of quality.

In my search for parts, I have come across someone who can make just about any "Plastic" part I need by using the techniques of Injection Plastic Molding.

My questions,

What original and/or hard to come by "Plastic" parts for the Cougar would be worth while to consider, both for the enthusiast and manufacturer's perspective?

What custom "Plastic" parts would enthusiast like to see become available for cougars? Example, Door panels; seatbacks with slotted magazine holders like SUV's; package trays with custom built in speaker boxes; etc?

We are currently doing a whole line of Original style & custom parts for Classic Mustangs, such as the stuff listed above, including the mustang trap doors, and at a fraction of the cost of original. He has done some original metal parts in plastic that even has the correct grain casted in the plastic.

So what do you think? Would there be any interest in something like this for the Cougars?

Let me know what parts you think would be worth while investigating further. Make sure you give a good description of the part and for what years.

You can reply to my post here, or email me at [email protected] if you would rather more of a one on one conversation.

*** FYI, I am not trying to solicit business, if I was I would have taken it to the classified sections. I just thought other enthusiast, other than myself might have a need for this kind of service also.

Thanks

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay here is one how about the cougar on the 70 -73 steering wheels? you know the one we are all missing either a tale or a foot from. Or how about a 69 middle grille peice. as long as it is chromed and plastic may hold up better than pot metal. How about good sail panels that fit well and dont look tacky for 69 70. thats three things i can think of right now, and someone is wanting kick panels with speekers for the 67-68 done like for the mustangs would be nice. Package tray for the 67-68.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Off the the top of my head.. I'd like to see plastic replacement toggle switches for the 67-68. You make'em and I'll just epoxy those on. :)

This one may be a bit out there but, how about a replacement door panel kit that we could use to replace the the warped wood backing in door panels. The skin and the top metal peice, etc... could be re-used if you were to come up with a nice solution for replacing the wood. Also you could supply them with a "press fit" plastic retainer kit instead of re-using the metals ones.

My only thought here is that you would have to create a step by step guide to aid those who want to restore their door panels. From carefully removing the the old material to reapplying it with professional results.

It's late for me and I'm tired. I like your idea of producing new plastic for old cars and maybe when I'm rested I'll have a few more ideas. ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
1. Consoles for 67-70.
It seems that a lot of people without one want one and those that have one need a piece or two.

2. Perhaps plastic replicas of those weak cardboard pieces in the trunk that cover the rear quarter drop offs?

3. Splash guards to go between the trunk (ruptured gas tank) and rear seat on Cougars and Mustangs. The original cardboard doesn't hold up and never seemed to really fit well either. It was more cosmetic than useful. I have not seen an aftermarket one and metal is heavy and expensive and hard to work with if you don't have the proper tools. If you could make these I would buy 2!

Guess that's all for now.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
67 rear quarter panel cougar emblems and front/rear cursive mercury emblems would be good. Hard to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess one thing I forgot to mention, when you start getting into replicating Logos, trademarks, items with a patent label, it becomes really costly to make. At about $10k per lic. per item, item cost and retail prices would have to absorb this, which for a small time business isn't practical unfortunately. And I don't need any lawsuit coming from Ford!

Such things as mercury cougar emblems, XR7 logos, Ford or Mercury insignia, I wouldn't be able to do legally, although I think there is a loop hole for non-profit organizations, but I don't think this company qualifies.

Here is a few things he has done for classic mustangs already, just to give you an idea and quality of his work.

Click on the links below,

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/1C/95/11916572-ff0f-01840118-.jpg

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/C1/D4/11894721-e0da-01840123-.jpg

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/2D/BF/12076589-a787-028001E0-.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I like the seat back, It will work on a Cougar seat by the way. The package shelf is a neet idea. He could make that for Cougars,
I'm sure he could make some money. I also like the idea of the trunk drop off boards. Keep us up to date with what he does. Neal

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would really like to see someone do the quarter panel emblems for the '67.

Is it still copywrite infringement if you alter it a bit or come up with something entirely different but would still like like it belongs?

I would also like to see an updated dash panel to replace the "camera case" looking stuff that came stock. The panel that bolts to the front of the dash and the guages sit in between. I was just going to cut one out of aluminum and give it a brush look, but if you can reproduct one to replace mine with the tears and cracks, I'd strongly consider buying one.

Thanks for your inquiry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
People are ALWAYS looking for 71-73 XR7 door panels. They are very hard to come by! Also consoles, or just the console lids, and Rim blow steering wheels. If priced right, the door panels would sell fast!! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drush5 said:
People are ALWAYS looking for 71-73 XR7 door panels.
Are the door panels a hard panel, or are they padded as most I have seen?

I'm not certain how he would go about doing a padded panel, and if this is possible, he would only be making the backing which would mean the padding & trim would still need to be applied by the enthusiast or vendor, which may be come costly?

I know custom door panels would not be a problem, as he has already done some of those.

All I can do is ask when I see him!

·
Registered
794 Posts
evilmess said:
What kind of adhesive would you use on a plastic door panel when applying the padding and door panel covers?
3M spray adhesive. It is a contact adhesive in a spray can. about 11$/can. Get it at home depot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
column covers

the plastic column covers at the base of the sterring column at thelower dash.All the ones I come across all have one (ear) broke off.I was told the mustang peice wont fit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well here goes my opinion

1. door panel for the 71-73 XR7 are very hard and expensive to come by probably a good one to try

2. Rear interior panel for the 71-73 would be great only ones I could find were good used ones.

3. Kick panels for the 71-73 would also be nice

4. Last is a good reproduction dash pad for the 71-73 cougars only thing available now is a cover.

Thats My wish list. God bless who ever can make it come true.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Definitely look into replicating the separate pieces of the consoles for 67-8, 69-70, and 71-73.

I would like a console lid that incorporated a cup holder, either a hole or some kind of retracting cup holder. You might also be able to put a cup holder in place of the woodgrain insert in the console instead of the lid, but I kind of like the lid idea because you could remove it and put a stock looking lid in place for shows.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Nitcat: Have you looked into the "hump-hugger" cup holders? They amke a dual cup holder that goes in th eseatbelt cups on a 69-70. Works good and it's a slide in/slide out. No screws or anything.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Door panels

1/2/3 cat owners I am preparing an article for TCP at TCCN about how to redo your door panels as well as how to transfer the hard board backings or make new ones for 67/70 owners.Stay tuned as this article will be one of the last for TCP. The 69 lower dash piece is not same as Mustang as noted however if you have the tab you can weld it back on with methylene chloride but don't breathe or touch the stuff apparently.

·
Registered
787 Posts
firecat said:
how about steering wheel pads? My 68 pad could be better and most I've seen look warped in several places.
Unfortunately, Whizco made off with some money from a bunch of guys over at www.vintage-mustang.com a couple years ago and has been incommunicado for quite some time. Best not to poke the bee's nest here .....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts