Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out Classic Tube for stainless steel lines to replace my gas tank to fuel pump line for my 1969 XR7. They said the line is 1 piece. On my car, which to my knowledge was not changed from the factory, there are 3 separate sections connected by rubber hose. One section goes from the tank to the lower frame rail in front of the rear wheel. The middle section travels the length of the frame rail/uni-body with 1 major bend. The final piece travels through the torque box area to the front innder fender opposite the fuel pump.

Does this sound like the original factory setup or was it replaced at some point, hence the rubber hose connectors and 3 sections?

Has anyone used Classic Tube replacement lines and did they fit without cutting?

Right now I can't understand how a 1 piece line would travel through the torque box area without being cut. That's the part that has me concerned.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Classic Tube suggested I remove my lines and send them in for duplication, but I can't believe no one ever had this problem/question before with them.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
No, you're not going crazy. Your setup is correct. There are 3 distinct lines most vendors distribute in their kits. Tank --> up the frame rail. Torque box to inner fenderwell, fuel pump to top of engine.

I bought a Complete Stainless Steel kit (Brake and Fuel hard lines) for a 69 Mustang and it fit PERFECTLY from front to back. Don't know if it was from Classic Tube though...

So, if they're confused, you can tell them a 69 Mustang as well...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the lines last night. What I thought was a rubber hose coupling behind the rear axle was really just an insulator to prevent rubbing. So I have a 2 piece line: tank to torque-box; t-b to engine inner fender.

Logan - do you recall where you bought yours? I have a catalog from CT Mustang and they also call out for 1 peice unless you have the rear sway bar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll just final my own post.

If you have the 351 4v motor, the fuel line looks like 3/8 and not 5/16 which screws some vendors up. Also, if you have the factory rear sway bar, the bends are different and it's a 2 piece unit.

I got the 3/8, 2 piece unit and it fit "fairly" well. The longer section was actually too long and had to be trimed, but the front section was fine. The bends near the rear quarter could have been "sharper".

Cost about $100 in stainless shipped to my door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts