Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my repo fuel sending unit in the mail [no anthrax as of yet] and I have a slight problem with it... On the original sending unit, where the wires plug into it, there were three prongs that the wires plug into... Well on the new repo unit there is only one prong, for which to plug the wires into. I think I can use it, but I don't know how to go about wiring it up. Any ideas? Thanks - Chad

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sounds like you went from a low-fuel warning sending unit to a straight "how much you got" sending unit. I don't have wiring diagrams for a 68, but I believe you are going to have to do some rearranging under there. Are you sure that's the one that you want?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just ordered the one that said it was for a 68 cougar, so I think it's right, and it fits and everything. My gas gauge never worked so I'm hoping that the old sending unit was busted and now I can kill two birds with one stone; fixing the gauge and the leak. - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad, Logan went though the same problem when he was doing it. I looked up the color wire on mine for him but off hand I dont remember for sure but I think it was the yellow wire that feed the gauge itself. That was for a 69, dont know if 68 used the same color but chances are they do. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you connect the gauge wire (start with the yellow one per MM's post) to ground through a 10 ohm resistor you should get a FULL reading on the gauge. This is the easiest way to test the gauge and wiring, and in this case to verify that you have the correct wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts