Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My side mirror for my 68 cougar is messed up. The remote cables are shot, chrome is hideous, glass is scratched up... I ordered a repo mirror from california mustang for a 68 mustang. The base is completely different and I don't think it's going to work, so right now I think my best coarse of action would be to put the new mirror unit along with the remote cables on the old base. You think this is a good idea? Well the other question I had was... on the original cougar mirror the glass is shaped like a trapezoid with the longer side facing bottom and on the repo mirror the glass is shaped the same only the narrower side is facing bottom. Which way is correct?? [I don't know if that last question makes sense, but hopefully someone can decifer my explaination.] Thanks - Chad

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Mirror interchangability

Contrary to popular belief, FoMoCo isn't made out of money. If they can use the same part for several models of cars, they will! It doesn't even have to be from the same model or even model year. An example is that the mirrors for 71-73 Cougars are the same as 70-71 Torinos. I don't know what your 68 Cougar will interchange with, if anything. Check with a friendly junkyard for the interchange list. They have a big book that lists all sorts of interchanges.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check here:

Chad : Since you're also local to the bay area swing by Mustang Magic in Fremont. Paul should be able to tell you exactly what you need for your mirror and most likely order the correct replacement for you. Most Mustang mirrors won't work due to the angle required for the mirror stem in order to make it clear the window properly.

Besides, another reason to pop by there would be to check out the 68 XR7 full resto he's working on there right now. It's absolutely incredible - and that's an understatement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts