Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a set (front and rear) of the repo black walking cougar floor mats. I guess none of Cougar vendors are selling them anymore. Anyone have an extra set they want to sell?
Thanks , MIke

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Got mine (Brown carpeted) from AutoKrafters...did you check with them? www.autokrafters.com
Jay,

I think he is speaking of the all-rubber ones. I bought the carpet ones too, think they are ACC like the carpeting.

P.S. Got the tape, thanks a bunch!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hey Bob -

Yeah, I seen he wanted the rubber ones, I couldn't remember if they were listed in the AutoKrafters catalog or not...old age I guess. You are most welcome on the tape, hope that it works well for you! :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Or, on second thought, maybe he wants black rubber mats which have been reposessed. :buck:

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or, on second thought, maybe he wants black rubber mats which have been reposessed. :buck:
That’s correct. I want a set repossessed from someone that has failed to utilize their full potential but I am prepared to compensate numerically.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
catman, mustangs unlimited list them. The Cougar catalog that they have online still is for 2009, www.mustangsunlimited.com . It's on page 9, $180.00 for front & rear. Just click on the mats and the picture will enlarge. John

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
catman, mustangs unlimited list them. The Cougar catalog that they have online still is for 2009, www.mustangsunlimited.com . It's on page 9, $180.00 for front & rear. Just click on the mats and the picture will enlarge. John
Unfortunately MU said that they have been discontinued. If you remember John's CC was the one who was remaking them and they're not listed anymore on his site. So I'm hoping that someone may have an extra set they would like to sell.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mike/others, what are originals (fronts only) in excellent condition worth on the market these days? I have a red interior, but had grown fond of them, along with the black seat belts, also in excellent condition. Anyone know if by some small chance that black was an option seat belt for red interior, with polar white exterior? May be interested to sell/trade those seat belts as well... Eric.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Eric, in regards to the black seat belts, is your interior standard or XR-7? Also, does the buckle have a chrome trim piece around it? John

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The buckles are black plastic, lift-up in function, without chrome trim. I will need to find good red ones before parting with my black ones. Maybe could do a three way switch? Eric.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The buckles are black plastic, lift-up in function, without chrome trim. I will need to find good red ones before parting with my black ones. Maybe could do a three way switch? Eric.
Eric, unfortunately I don't have red seat belts to trade. I was just trying to answer your question about if black seat belts were an option with red interior. I saw in your profile that you have a standard Cougar. I'll send you a PM. Catman, sorry for the hijack, good luck with finding black floor mats. John

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike/others, what are originals (fronts only) in excellent condition worth on the market these days? I have a red interior, but had grown fond of them, along with the black seat belts, also in excellent condition. Anyone know if by some small chance that black was an option seat belt for red interior, with polar white exterior? May be interested to sell/trade those seat belts as well... Eric.
Eric, Somebody is always selling seat belts and they can be restored just keep looking you will find some. If you have a set of orginal walking Cougar mats it depends on what the buyer will use them for and how much their willing to pay. Supply and demand. Me, I'm going to put my feet all over them that's why I was looking for the a set of the remade ones.

The repops were going for a high price, too high IMO that is why they are not being made anymore. Not many people want to pay that much for a RUBBER mat The same mats with a pony on them are selling for around $70.00 for a set of 4 in all the colors. They went to all the trouble to remake them, wanted to get back there investment too quickly, and priced themselves right out of the market. Mats are a consumable, they wear out, people will buy more

I may just buy a set of those, evict the pony and move in a cat. If they made a carpet mat with the early /GT/ logo I would buy a set of those.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The hard truth is that Cougar parts are an economic bust every time you do one. They sold ten times as many Mustangs so you simply cannot compare prices. The lesson to be learned here is not that the price was too high, but that they will probably never exist again: the market simply is not big enough to support the reproduction of the part.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hard truth is that Cougar parts are an economic bust every time you do one. They sold ten times as many Mustangs so you simply cannot compare prices. The lesson to be learned here is not that the price was too high, but that they will probably never exist again: the market simply is not big enough to support the reproduction of the part.

Bill, I agree but to a point. The tool has been re-made. It's sitting on a shelf doing nothing. It's made by the same process as the Mustang mats. How many potential Cougar owners are there? How many of the sets were sold when they were re-making them? They fit multiple years and yes IMO they were priced too high. Sell them for under a hundred a set and people will buy two sets. Sell them for $140.00, $160.00 and $180.00 a set and your lucky if you sell 200 sets out of a couple of thousand potential buyers.

Mike

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I don't know anything about this particular part, but I am guessing that the minimum run quantity is what is standing in the way of more being made. I used to be able to get a 500 piece minimum run of parts, and now they want 800 to 1000. If we only sell a hundred a year, then there is no way that buying 800 makes sense. I doubt that any one who has invested in a tool wants to see it go unused, they are just doing the math. A Mustang part that sells 1000 a year is a snap, a Cougar part that sells 100 is impossible.

The reason that lots of us are trying to grow the Cougar hobby is that if it doesn't get to critical mass, the parts will be less and less available. I an thrilled everytime a Mustang guy buys something from WCCC or Ken or Michigan John or Cascade John. It helps make possible every thing they do that is Cougar specific. Hey, at least we are not paying Mopar parts prices. LOL!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The Mustang mats are no longer... Seems as though someone in the legal dept at Ford heard a rumor that they could potentially cause an issue with the accelerator pedal. Drake sent out the word about an emergency liquidation sale sometime back and all mats disappeared within 48 hours. As for another run of Cougar mats? Don't hold your breath!

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Don, I was able to purchase a set of the black Mustang mats. Some of the Mustang Vendors are still selling them on Ebay as well as on their sites.
As for the Cougar mats, I spoke with John and they should be back out on the market within the next few months but for now these will do.

I’m in the process of making molds of the walking Cougar and the GT emblem. I plan on removing the Pony on this set and grafting one of the two in its place.

I looked at some of the carpet mats on your site and they look very nice. I wish your suppler made ones with the early GT emblem. BTW these rubber mats(fronts) are almost a perfect fit in the MN-12 Cougars. I’ll bet your Carpet mats are too.
Mike

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts