Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you have seen on my website my windshield needs to be raplaced. I took the one out of the doner car to replace this one.

Can you guys tell me what I need for this, and what type of seal to buy.

I was on AutoKrafters site this morning and seen the windo-weld for windshield and back glass. Is this all I need to do this. And if there are any tips or suggestions please let me know.

Tad.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
for safety reasons, I would get a mobile glass installer come over. Hows your headliner, if its thrashed, now is the time to replace it before the glass goes in.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i agree with Rick. always good to have someone else to blame in case the windshield cracks. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
good Idea

Thats a real good Idea Rick.He could probably do it on the side.I would make sure its real clean.If you can find some new clips.Mine has a peice of neopreme weather stripping along the bottom.I think its to eep the chrome tightso it dosnt rattle.He can also d it in 20 minutes too.Leaky windows I hate them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
body shop supply

Look for a supply store that sells to body shops if iits been there a long time chances are they have them.Take one and match it up.Or just be careful with the ones you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you can do this yourself and its not that bad. make sure the glass you are putting in is real clean {lay it face down---an unmounted tire will work} clean an area a couple inches wide all the way around it--- you can use lacquer thinner or acetone. remove all the butyl {black goop} from the pinchweld after you get the glass out of your car. this should be really clean. use the thinner on this too ,BUT DONT GET IT ON YOUR DASH, INTERIOR OR PAINT. buy some 3m pinchweld primer and a 3m butyl tape kit {3/8 inch} prime the pinchweld with the little brush that is on the primer cover, and do the glass1/2 to 3/4 inch around the glass-edge. ( this needs to be done in a warm garage) heat the butyl kit up with a heat gun and then start on the bottom center of the pinch-weld. lay the tape across the bottom --up the side --across the top-- down the other side-- across the bottom to meet the other end. run the ends by each other by an inch or two. do not touch the tape when you are doing this.now you need a buddy to help you set the glass. in the butyl-tape kit, there are 2 rectangular blocks. put one on the lower metal part of the car. about6-8 " from each corner. stand them up (this will keep the glass from coming in contact with the metal. see next post !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
now pick the glass up with your buddy and hold it over the opening---( not touching the tape). once you agree you are spaced the same set it on the tape. dont push on the glass too firmly . set it untill you again check your clearances. if they are right gently push on the glass all the way around. its in !!!!! it is a good idea to have the clips in first ,but you can get them in after, you must be a lot more carefull. this will work. make sure there are no chips in the glass before you do this installation, as you can crack the glass by pushing on it when you do the final set. hope this helps !!!!!! nailhead

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow nailhead,

Sweet Instructions. Step by Step, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Much Appreciated. Thanks.

I will be doing this in a few weeks, I will let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
awesome, but be careful. My inlaw did his back window on his AMX, and it blew off cruizing down the highway, instant shatter. Id rather pay the difference and let a shop do it for safety purposes, and if it does blow off, then they have to replace it and buy a window.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I will be careful.

If this one done work out, I will have learned my lessen and have a shop do it the next time. I have 2 windshields right now so I should still be able to get it done with only the money for materials out of pocket.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im not doubtng your skill, just dont want to to be out of pocket if it screws up, and glass shops only charge about 60. or so.

Rick

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know,

I havent done this before, so there is room to doubt skill, I just want to give it a try for the experiance. If it donsent work then I will leave it up to the pros. At least I can say "I tried but that is one thing I cant do myself".

Tad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
on the older vintage autos the glass is either set in rubber or set in butyl. if you do this and dont get your fingers on the exposed butyl and make sure it is in a warm environment, it wont come out. on the newer urethane set autos the glass is part of the structure and is actually a reinforcement. they are all but impossible to get out in one piece. if you do this in the cold it wont adhere and probably will leak. just think ,after a few of these ,you can put em in for $50 and save your buddys some money !! HEAT-- HEAT--HEAT-- and you must use the primer !! NAILHEAD

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It really dont make a difference with the headliner if the windshield is in or out. Now the BACK window is a different story and the headliner is easier to put in with it out. mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to work in a glass shop. You are well ahed to have a professional install the glass. Let him deal with the headaches of leaks, wind noise, and the glass not blowing out. The best method is to use urythane to hold the glass in. On older cars the butyl tape can be used as an inner trim so the urythane doesnt show from the inside. It is now illegal to use butyl tape to adhere an automotive windshield. It is illegal for a reason. SAFETY

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I also agree this is a relatively straight fwd job. I can't get the tape anymore apparently itsillegal now some DA used it on a newer car but I digress. Point is that I use windshield adhesive notice I said adhesive and not sealant. Sealant is for the rubber type glass seals which 69 frt windshields are not however the rears are. You have to squeeze a good 3/8-1/2 bead alway around and everything Nailhead said applies here as well. The glass is a lot easier than most think but patients is a virtue cause if ya get too agressive you may break it and look dumb,lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
way out of my leauge

I wouldnt touch it.I broke a few windshields when I used to put vynil tops on a while back.When I used POR 15 that was bad enough(Im a messy painter)I can't even imagin using the sealer after I go done with that i all I would need is feathers.Good Luck.That stuff gets real runny when warm.Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Windshields

You can remove it carefully... Using a brass weave wire sold at paint shops. I wouldn't get the T- tool unless you feel real LUCKY!. Prep area as prev discussed.

I agree w/ the suggestion of a pro installing the glass. The main reason is the proper setting of the glass on the "dam" of sealer. New glass is much thinner than original windshields. (DOT allowed this years ago) A pro should use a electric caulk gun and lay down a thick bead, thus creating the proper depth setting of the glass so the chrome trim fits properly. If not done, the trim will never look "right", and have a gap between the glass and trim.

Another tip: The new clips should be bent away from the body a little. This makes attaching the chrome much easier, avoiding denting the trim.

Cougar Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts