Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this? I have a low fuel warning light on the instrument panel and I think I have the right sending unit. Got a rebuilt unit from Desert Classics. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
First you will need the tank nearly empty. Work in a well ventilated location, Put the car up on jack stands or on a lift. find the sender unit on the tank, it will be on the drivers side. Clean the area around it so no dirt will fall in inside the tank. Remove the electrical connector by pulling straight off, you may need to pry it up a little to get it to come off. Then remove the fuel line, you will want to replace the rubber hose section and clamps. So cutting it off should not be a problem. Then use a punch or Drift and hammer to turn the locking ring to free it. Be sure to have a drain pan under the work location incase you have some gas left in the tank. Once the lock ring is loose remove it and the sender unit. You may need to rock the sender back and forth to brake the seal. Do not use a pry bar of other metal tool as that may damage the seal area.
Clean the sealing surface, use a light weight grease and put the new seal in the grove. The grease is to hold the seal in the proper location. Put the new sender unit in to the tank being carful not to knock the seal off(if so put it back in place) put the lock ring back in place and tighten it. Install new rubber hose section and tighten the clamps. Plug in the electrical connector.
The last two I have done to my cars I had new tanks and did the install before installing thanks. But as they are reproduction senders. I will be replacing them this winter in my 71 XR-7 and my White 70 XR-7.
Be sure to send your old sender to Bill so he can restore it fore somebody else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neal very thorough and greatly appreciated, going to tackle it this weekend.. Will let you know how it turns out and plan on forwarding the old unit so someone else can use it! Take care and we'll talk soon. Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts