Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone down this route? I went to a pull a part the other day and got a drive shaft and electric fan, they didnt charge me for the fan, chaching! lol Just wondering, a buddy of mine did it in his 71 monte carlo, said works better and better on gas. Just looking for some input, either way Im at no loss.

·
Registered
389 Posts
im going to go electric when I get to that point. my car has the original 4 blade non AC car fan....and it had add on dealer installed AC and never was upgraded. with the temps in the 100+ range for most of the summer, i think once its back on the road, that aint gonna fly. so im gonna do electric and ditch the 4 blade fan. supposed to be alot better on effeciency and cooling.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I bought my 67 with an electric fan and it runs way cooler than my 69 did with the original fan. I'm not sure about MPG's with a Cougar, but I've been looking into one for my Hummer and everyone has said that taking the strain off the motor by changing to an electric fan adds a little power and increases gas mileage so I would think your buddy is right. I'd swap the one out of my hummer but youtube videos I've seen are so loud it would probably drive me nuts. Congrats on getting a price break!

Ben

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried an electric fan on my 67 - 289 / auto. Don't remember the size or airflow rating, but it was the largest single fan I could find that would fit between the radiator and the water pump pulley. Mounted directly to the radiator, it wouldn't keep the temp down as well as the flex fan with shroud does. Perhaps a dual fan setup with a shroud would work, but I'm just getting used to the noise of the flex fan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts