Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new one piece export brace for my 68 XR7. The indiviual braces that are in there now mount to the lower side of the "lip" at the firewall. It looks like the one piece will need to mount to the top of this "lip"? (because of the way metal is formed)
Looks like the shock mounts will have to be removed to put the one piece brace on first then the top shock mount?
Wonder if I need to jack up the car to remove the top shock mounts? I am thinking that they must be under load while car is sitting?
If anyone has done this mod and has any insight to these questions, I would like to hear from you. Still a little new to taking things apart.
Thanks Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Yes, the one piece brace mounts on the top side of the lip. Shock mounts will need to be removed. You shouldn't have to jack up the car to remove the shock mounts but you will probably have to in order to install the one piece brace.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yeah as Jeff said, no need to jack up the front to take off the caps, but might be needed when installing the brace.
Unbolt the two bolts for the shocks, unbolt and take off the shockmounts, place the brace, put back the shockmounts and bolt them down, then bolt on the shocks again, and remember to fasten the rear edge of the brace before driving ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that is what I figured but thought it better to check and be sure than to just go with gut and do something wrong. Hoping this along with another brace in the kit which I believe goes under car near transmission and the weld on tower braces that the car will be a little more stable on the road. The brace for under the car looks similar to the one that is there already but a whole lot beefier!! It also has some gussetting on both ends that I don't think the stock one has.
I guess there is one more question if you happen back to this or someone else might know. The bolts that attach to the shock mounts, are they permantly fixed in position ? I looked for the other end of bolt but it was not readily visable. Guess I will find out one way or another soon enough :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Congrats! You bought a really good kit for helping these old Cats handle better.

To start w/ the "xport" brace. The car will most likely need to be jacked up by the crossmember, as this will help in fitting it on the car. I start on one side, drop the big bolts at the back in and then work the other side. I have also used a screwdriver to tap the bolts into place. Tighten and move onto installing the crossmember. The "new" one has gussets welded off center. This is to allow you to mount it one of 2 ways. The latter is if you decide to connect it to the lower control arms. This is a bit advanced for what most of us do.

The weld in plates go under the upper control arms at a 45 degree angle. Best to have suspension off car and clean the pockets out really good!

Now is a good time to lower the upper control arm mount points by drilling new holes 1" lower than the orig ones. This helps handling also.

Let us know how you made out and how you like you "new" Cat!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The bolts that attach to the shock mounts, are they permantly fixed in position ? I looked for the other end of bolt but it was not readily visable. Guess I will find out one way or another soon enough :)
Charlie, after you remove the shock mounts, there will be an opening on top of the shock tower for the bolts. Just slide them towards the other end. John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts