Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple of new backrounds for the front of my 68 Xr7. One for the center, easy fix, remove center, punch out Merc God Head. From there it is a matter of removing old "sticker" cleaning up surfaces and apply new sticker and setting Merc God Head in place and replaccing center to grill.
The passenger side headlight door has a bleached out backround, so I purchased a new one and a new cat for the corral. I have heard that it is necessary to remove the corrall from the headlight door to do this job? Hoping there is another way to do this without having to epoxy the corral back on to the door. If this is the only way, so be it but really hate to break things if it is avoidable. Anyone who has done this and has advise, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading
Charlie

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Charlie, when you break the corral off the door, which is the only way to do this, you don't have any studs left to use for mounting it back on the door. The good news is that you buy the replacement corral that does have studs on it and then it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish Don had mentioned that when I was buying the other parts.... I will check his site and see if he has one available with the studs. Thanks for the tip!! Sounds much better than just gluing it back on.
Charlie

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hoping there is another way to do this without having to epoxy the corral back on to the door. If this is the only way, so be it but really hate to break things if it is avoidable. Anyone who has done this and has advise, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading
Charlie
We used a drill press to tap the mounting points and used small brass screws to remount the emblem. This makes it easier to remove and repaint and freshen up the grill in the future as well. We also did this with all the chrome pieces on the grill.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don sells the corral as a kit which is what I bought. Use two screw drivers and insert one in the top of the corral and one in the bottom and pull outward and the flared studs will break off. Then assemble the three pieces and attach with the supplied clips.
One was tricky but take your time. The results are worth it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we used the screw method---2-56 if i remember-------we made a new black textured background out of 1/8 abs---also moved the cat down .25 " to center it witout the cougar name---clean and different
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
X3 on the drill and tap for screws.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of using screws over epoxy. Nice to be able to take it off when it comes to time to refinish the grill.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I like the idea of using screws over epoxy. Nice to be able to take it off when it comes to time to refinish the grill.
Charlie
I actually went back and removed "Goop" I had used on my gas door crest and did the drill, tap and screws thing, mostly because I would never be comfortable and would always be expecting to one day round the back of Isabel only to discover in horror that the glue let loose and my crest was now laying somewhere on the side of the road with "nicely restored" now replaced by "major road rash". Creates quite the mental picture, huh?!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was one of the major fears I had with just gluing it back on... Never know when the glue will give up or just the right bump will knock it loose, then what... I am trying to imagine the screws that you are using, I imagine they must be quite short and I assume machine screws? If you can remember what size hole you drilled and the tap used along with the screws used ( not asking too much...) I imagine I could grind the screws back if too long and poke through into the packround area but would be great to avoid that problem if possible. I don't want anyone to go and take things apart, that is too much,but if you do remember any of the specs on what you used it would be very helpful and much appreciated.
I tried masking off the Cougar in the corral and the bottom strip with the "Cougar" spelled out and spraying it. Not terrible but when on top of it, close it shows. Looking forward to taking it off and doing it properly. The more info I have the easier the job will go. Thanks for all suggestions and with a little luck maybe you have the numbers filed away? Worth a shot...
Thanks again
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Short 2-56 screws are what I used, 4-40 when there is room. I have a '69 so I am only presenting the concept - but I'd imagine 2-56 would work just about anywhere there is a post whose fastening needs to be restored to working.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I am trying to imagine the screws that you are using, I imagine they must be quite short and I assume machine screws? If you can remember what size hole you drilled and the tap used along with the screws used ( not asking too much...) I imagine I could grind the screws back if too long and poke through into the packround area but would be great to avoid that problem if possible.
Charlie
I'll try to get a pic of the screws we used today. They are brass and very small and there is no way they were ever too long to worry about. This pic they are already installed. Same screws used on the emblem.
screws.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is one very neat install, very professional!! I have done some checking on the internet to see exacly what a 2-56 screw is. I have to ask you excuse my ignorance... I found that they are about 1/4-5/16 inches long, does this fall in line with what you used? I have a number of taps and drill bits and plan on devoting tomorrow to getting this done. I'm a guy more accustomed to measurements like 1/16, 1/8, measurements like that but with each day something new is learned.
When you took the chrome trim off the grill when repainting the black parts, is this done best by drilling the studs out from the back ( like removing a rivit )? This is how I am invisioning removing the chrome accents on the grill to prep for painting.
Thanks so much for all the help!! The pictures really help to see just how it is done. I like the look you went for with just the "Cat" without the script underneath. The backround I bought has the script already there so I guess I will go with it for now but something to keep in mind for the new time.
Got my pot-op appt tomorrow, hopefully I will get the go ahead to do as I please. Have been doing a little more than supposed to but I am feeling pretty good. Amazing how fast the recovery is from surgery with this laproscopic method they use these days. Dying to get back into the swing of things...
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
2-56 is #2 diameter (like #6, #8, etc... that you might be more familiar with), and 56 is the number of threads per inch. They are the next common size (there are a few others) smaller than 4-40 (although since they are not used very much not that common!).

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The nice thing about those machine thread screws is that they cut easily (soft metal) and you can use a pair of electricians crimp/strip/cut pliers to cut them. If you ever wondered what all those threaded holes were for in them - you just run the screw in from the threaded side, close the handles and viola - a nice cut, and it automatically cleans up its own threads when you back it out. Slick! You can buy nice kits of those various size machine screws at Harbor Freight and have them on hand - I use them frequently for sizing screws up for electrical boxes whe remodeling....and a bunch of project stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
P.S. To your best removal, method question. I like to use diagonal pliers to break away the peened out post edges. You can drill if this is not practical in your case but drilling sometimes removes some of the surrounding part with the hole the post sticks through (which is why I prefer my method). Not all cases are the same, however. I ground the post down on my gas door crest just because I had easy access. In retrospect, I like the break away method best.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.k. The size #6,#8 is more familiar to me. I'll check out the local Lowes store, I think they have a pretty good assortment of screws. If all else fails, there is always the internet.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
to establsh the major dia of any numbered screw , use this formula----the number x .013 = .060-----example , a # 10 screw is 10 x .013 == .130 plus .060 ==.190 dia
doctordesoto

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is some Great info!! Thanks I will be sure and keep that formula. Never know what method different hardware stores will use. Shoul be helpful in picking taps and drill bits as well.
Thanks for formula!
Charlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts