Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just finished installing my first new engine bay panel. Don't have a spot welder, so drilled 3/8" holes where appropriate and puddle welded the new panel in. I then ground down the welds, but would like to finish the surface so I am not seeing the grind marks and little pits from the welds. For this area, what would be best to fill these in? Body filler, filler primer, etc?

Thanks

This is one spot where I put a quick coat of paint on it to see how the welds and grind marks telegraph through... quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Body filler would give you the best finish/contour, but that's a lot of work! You can use seam sealer to fill the voids too, perhaps not as well/smoothly though. I use 3m 8500 for things like these because it is water soluble and you can smooth it very well with a wetted finger. But, I have had a few adhesion problems with it (in joints mostly) so it is hard for me to say to use it without reservation. A urethane based sealer perhaps and lacquer thinner to smooth? Keep in mind what these looked like originally, nothing to write home about, but as the ECI I certainly understand the desire to make your work as nice as you can.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Since you don't mind grinding.....how about using an epoxy like JB weld - you can smooth it out before it sets up (work fast though) and then you have soemthing that is tough as nails and will never crack/split - you can grind/sand it too if need be. I used it to fill in indents on my motorcycles tank (where they put the Yamaha badge) and it worked like a dream.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is a really good product just for that purpose, it's polyester finishing putty, two part mix like body putty and can be painted over. One brand is Icing by USC, there are others. Can be bought where paint products are sold.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a primer/filler, 2K urethane or such?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is a really good product just for that purpose, it's polyester finishing putty, two part mix like body putty and can be painted over. One brand is Icing by USC, there are others. Can be bought where paint products are sold.
Putty coat, great idea Carlton! This is what body shops use instead of "red lead" (aka Nitro-Stan) these days.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How about a primer/filler, 2K urethane or such?
You could probably use high-build primer and sand if that is what you are suggesting.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Poly glaze, Evercoat brand,....cuts easily, apply paper thin and block it out with a neoprene pad (they are the size of a dish sponge, approx. 2 1/2" x 4") wrapped with some 220 grit. Then apply your build primer,...block it with 220 then 320 grit, using the same neo block,....they conform real well to small angles and curves. http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsdkblock.aspx

PS .......NICE WORK BRIAN !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts