Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around last night to replaced the fuel tank on the Cougar. A very easy swap. A little smelly as it is difficult to get ALL the gas out of the old tank. Inside the tank I did find the filter from the sending unit sloshing around. I hope the new filter stays on better than the old one.

I even did a little body work removing some light rust in the trunk area and spraying with some rust inhibitor. Nothing pretty but this should be effective and isn't visible so I am happy for now. I resealed the tank to the trunk lip too although this car isn't going to be driven in rain at all, I hope.

So now I am looking into why my low fuel light is on. When I first got the car it was working fine, and when I replaced the float last summer, it then stayed on. I am thinking a wire got bumped, somewhere in the sender area, and I am hoping a little detective work will yield the answer. As much as Bob has a fantastic product out there, I'd rather not get into the taking apart the dash pad if I don't have too. I realize that I will probably be doing this down the road. Since the unit is out anyway though, I am going to give it a try.

This weekend the front suspension gets done I hope. Tie rods, control arms, spring perches etc. Getting these projects taken care of really does feel like an accomplishment.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to thank all that replied with thoughts and advice. After cleaning up all the connections on the sender and realizing that this sender was going to go back in because the gas gauge at least worked, the low fuel light is now OFF. WOO HOO!! And the gas gauge is working as well. So for now all is well in my camp and thank you all once again.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts