Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FMX in my 69 XR7, 351 2V is starting to have some problems, which is just the excuse I need to replace it with a better tranny. I've heard some talk about both the AOD and a 5 speed manual conversion.

The car is my daily driver, and has tall 2.83 (I think) rearend gearing. I'd probably change it to a 3.50 with the new tranny, which would give me a lot more power without sucking any more gas.

I'm leaning towards an AOD, but don't know really anything other than it's a 4 speed automatic. Is it a drop-in replacement, or are heavy modifications required? If I have to cut into the car too much I'll probably just have my FMX rebuilt. Also, anyone know about how much an AOD unit costs?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but I do know the AOD is from a 5.0 Mustang/Mark VII, etc. It is supposed to be a near swap, with a shortened driveshaft I think. You can then put in some decent gears like 3.90s, and still get decent mileage on the freeway.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm still trying to sort my tarnsmission options out as well, so I hope a lot of people respond to this thread. My last cougar had an FMX transmission, I LOVED IT. Summit offers a few AOD transmissions for TCI and B&M that can handle a healthy 450hp -new- for under $1200 [ without a bell housing] I might go for this. But like I said, I'm still looking at my options. - Good Luck - Chad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts