Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to re-upholster my 1968 interior. It camefrom the factory with a bench seat which I find unique but is different fromany other Cougar I have owned or for that matter seen. Part of me wants toconvert it over to buckets and part of me wants to stay with the bench. I haveread that although there were not that many bench seats sold that it actuallyreduces the resale value of the car. This leans me towards the bucketconversion but takes away from the individuality of the car.
What do others think should be done and why?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it a stock 68? Nothing special except the bench seat? Are you going to keep it long term? Are you going to fix and sell? Have you gotten a Marti report? Those are all questions that come to my mind. What type of shift does it have, should be floor from what I have read. How does that work with the bench seat? does the bench have an indentation where the shifter is or straight like most bench seats? For me, it would be determined by rarity and why it had a bench seat, coupled with weather the car was a standard production vehicle. If it is standard, nothing special and I was going to make it "mine" I would put the bucket seats in, correct for the year. That is just me. If it is a very rare, one of a kind with special extras, then I would keep it original, if only because it is very rare. Resale value would not be a consideration for me. This is from a person who does not have a lot of disposable income(currently None) so that does affect my perspective.
Just my thoughts, others will have their own opinions.

Lloyd

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it is a stock 68 with a 302. Nothing special ordered on it. The first owner probably liked the idea of a comfortable seat verses bucket seats even though he was an airline pilot. It is a C4 auto with the chrome floor shift bezel. The seat is the standard Cougar bench with the fold down arm rest. I have not seen any bench seats with an indentation like you are describing. I have a Marti report which confirms what I already knew about it. I plan on keeping the car and enjoying it although if the right situation came about to be able to get my hands on a nice GT I would like to be able to maximize my investment one this car. The only reson I don't mind swapping out the seat is that the dash and steering wheel are already not original (XR-7 dash and newer Montego tilt steering and performance steering wheel). I have kept all of the other original parts off the car but I have no idea where I would put a bench seat. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, it is a stock 68 with a 302. Nothing special ordered on it. The first owner probably liked the idea of a comfortable seat verses bucket seats even though he was an airline pilot. It is a C4 auto with the chrome floor shift bezel. The seat is the standard Cougar bench with the fold down arm rest. I have not seen any bench seats with an indentation like you are describing. I have a Marti report which confirms what I already knew about it. I plan on keeping the car and enjoying it although if the right situation came about to be able to get my hands on a nice GT I would like to be able to maximize my investment one this car. The only reson I don't mind swapping out the seat is that the dash and steering wheel are already not original (XR-7 dash and newer Montego tilt steering and performance steering wheel). I have kept all of the other original parts off the car but I have no idea where I would put a bench seat. Decisions,
decisions.
I can relate. I have a 67gt-by the vin, currently has a 302 and automatic. Not original color combo, it's yellow w/black interior. Just thinking I will get it running again and put it up for sale. I do have a 68 390 out of a Galaxie that could go in it and a C-6 auto to go behind the 390. I believe that the original came with a 3speed heavy duty standard. Got to downsize, almost 60 and little money or inclination anymore, and still several projects to finish.
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I think that factory bench seat cars are cool and unique. They are also very comfortable to drive, with that arm rest folded down.

They only made 2673 of them in 1968, about 3% of 1968 Standard Hardtops came with that bench seat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
+1 on keeping the bench,...anyone can have a Cougar with bucket seats. Hey,.. where's the romance, "slide over and visit me honey!"

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 on keeping the bench,...anyone can have a Cougar with bucket seats. Hey,.. where's the romance, "slide over and visit me honey!"

That was my first thought - but then I noticed our ahem - ages....the hotties aren't exactly beating on the door anymore! LOL

I'd go with whatever you think is comfortable - it's a standard so value really doesn't play into it much. I think safety is better with headrests honestly.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I would keep the bench seat. Bench seat Cougars have their own body type 65C.
http://www.cougarclub.org/registry/Cougars101/lm.aspx

<!-- End Top header of page (ccoa logo) --><!-- Start menu bar block table --><TABLE style="WIDTH: 615px; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=normaltab>home</TD><TD class=normaltab>about ccoa</TD><TD class=normaltab>contacts</TD><TD class=normaltab>newsletter</TD><TD class=normaltab>tech info</TD><TD class=activetab>registry</TD><TD class=normaltab>links</TD><TD class=normaltab>events</TD><TD class=normaltab>classifieds</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End menu bar block --><!-- Start Main content table --><TABLE style="WIDTH: 615px; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=615><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=middle align=center>Cougar Models as defined by Lincoln-Mercury</TD></TR><TR><TD>CCOA National Database Registrar: Phil Parcells [email protected]</TD></TR><TR><TD>
<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" border=0 width=300 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Table of Contents</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left"><HR><!-- Start page content -->

Cougar Models

Between the years 1967 and 1973, there were only 5 distinct Cougar models defined by Lincoln-Mercury via a unique body style code in either the VIN or left door tag: Body Serial Codes denoted in the VIN:
  • 91 - Standard Hardtop
  • 92 - Convertible
  • 93 - XR7 Hardtop
  • 94 - XR7 Convertible
Body Types denoted on the left Door Tag:
  • 65A, 65D - Standard Hardtop
  • 65B, 65F - XR7 Hardtop
  • 65C - Standard Hardtop w/ Bench Seat
  • 76A, 76D - Convertible
  • 76B, 76F - XR7 Convertible
Therefore, there are 5 distinct "models" of Cougars:
  • 91 = 65A = 65D = Standard Hardtop
  • 93 = 65B = 65F = XR7 Hardtop
  • 92 = 76A = 76D = Convertible
  • 94 = 76B = 76F = XR7 Convertible
  • 65C = Standard Hardtop w/ Bench Seat
A 1967 Standard Hardtop with bench seat

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I own one too! They are comfortable seats and if you can get a hold of one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-1967-Cougar-Brochure-Canadian-Market-/330685576820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe657674

it's cool to display with your bench seat cat.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd vote for the bench seat. My first '69 had a bench seat and I loved it. The arm rest, my future wife sliding over next to me ... great memories,

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after much thought I have decided to keep the bench. It makes the car a bit more interesting since this was an option but not a more popular one at the time. I'm going to have a shop redo the seat in a way to keep the feel of a late 60s early 70s muscle car along with the decor two tone design. I wouldn't mind a seat cover replacement but at the samer time I want the vinyl material to be as breathable as possible due to the Phoenix heat. Next stop is to find some 68 decor door panels. Mine were stripped when they recovered them in cloth back in the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts