Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for successful ways to re-attach the headlight grille to the headlight door

The pins holding the grilles to the doors are slowly breaking off

• Is it best to remove all the pins and reattach the grilles?
  • what do you do to reattach the grilles?
  • would double sided automotive trim tape be sufficient to hold them or should they be screwed?
  • what size screws do you use?
  • what size hole do you drill in the grille to attach the screws?
  • do you use loctite or spring washers to hold the screws

Appreciate your advice

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
what year cougar are you working on Leon? My 68 had pins but was actually held in place with screws from the factory,I ground the brads off the back. I used just the screws to hold it in place. If they rattle plan on going back and use some metal epoxy and put on the pins to help keep the rattle down.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Leon,

Had one door grille (69, assume that is what we're talkin') with one stud ripped off (I say ripped because it left a hole behind). I previously used a round head machine screw to bolt through the hole and painted it (and the grooves) black. When I selected pieces and refurbed for my build, this door grille came out on top as the best (but I have since bought a better one) so I got a little more creative.

I took a flat head screw (6-32, 8-32, I forget) and ground the head down as small as I could that would still fill the hole and hold and painted it (and the grooves) with SEM trim black. Worked well and was nearly undetectable.

I would not trust anything but screws, however (and to the contrary), I guess you could fit a lot of double sided foamy tape in the space between the door grille and door!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the problem on 69 and 70. They are held on by small brad style pins

Bob - the tape I was thinking about is the stuff they use to stick the side moulds to a vehicle. Pretty tough stuff but the moulds are generally lighter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts