Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a '69 Eliminator hood scoop and plan to install on my '68 XR7. I really like the look of the eliminator scoop! The one I purchased has a couple of broken studs (on back edge nearer windshield) and a couple of cracks that go all the way through. I have filled the cracks with adhesive to stabllize them and affix fiberglass mesh to the inside to give them some rigidity. The cracks on the top surface are fairly smooth and am thinking that bondo finishing/ crack filler compound might do the trick? Wonderinging if I need to open them up a little for better adhesion? I am no body man and am just going on instinct, hope this is alright so far... I plan to rebuild the broken studs with epoxy, looks like that is what they use on the reproductions.
Looking for any halpful hints on getting the finish smooth on top and any tricks on setting up the scoop and hood so holes all line up and scoop is straight. My thoughts are to install studs and put a dap of grease on the tip of each and go for a perfect landing and hope for the best. Maybe there is a better way??
Thanks for any and all help
Charlie

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm no expert on the glass stuff Charlie, but I'd be tempted to use a resin similar to what you use to patch boats with.....try asking soembody on a vette resto board. I don't think most fillers would hold up very well - that thing catches a lot of wind pressure.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
You don't want to tork down on them when installing. I used long strand fiberglass filler (Kitty Hair) to reattach a couple of bolts. Worked great.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a couple of ideas running around in my head on replacing the broken studs mounts on the scoop. First is to just set the stud in epoxy and attach dirrecty to the hood scoop. Then possibly covering it with fiberglass mesh to re-enforce the attachment to the scoop. Second would be to build the posts out of epoxy without the studs in place, re-enforce the attachment with fiberglass mesh and then drill and tap the epoxy so the studs would be removable. This would also keep fiberglass resin off the mounting stud threads and maybe cleaner. I'm just not sure if epoxy will take drilling and tapping well.
Any thoughts??? I was thinking maybe a paper tube about the same size as the other studs would make a great mold for the epoxy to set up in for the new studs. Fiberglass cloth/mesh worked GREAT to repair the cracks and to fill the chip on one edge. Hardens like a rock! The epoxy I bought is one designed to work with plastic and metals.
I dry fit the scoop tonight with all the studs out and it appears that the studs once tightened bring the scoop down tight to the surface of the hood. Just sitting there it does not make 100% contact all the way around but just the slightest pressure brings it to a glove like fit.
Any thoughts on the 2 options I am thinking of to rebuild the studs are much appreciated, if I am out in left field, please tell me so...
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Charlie, Hello... just a thought. If you're trying to rebuild the stud bosses, perhaps you could mold these areas using an inner and outer cylinder to construct a donut shaped molded boss. Possibly a small plastic medicine cylinder bottle or register tape spool for the outer form and then possibbly using candle wax, or round pencil or something similar to fill the middle (but be removable) to create the ring shaped mold. Sand the bonding area surface of the scoop with course abrasive paper before the mold work. Suggest using JB weld epoxy to construct the new stud bosses. After the epoxy is set... remove the inner/outer construction rings, level off the new stud bosses and then use more JB epoxy to set the studs into the pockets that you have just created. The blind side of the studs have a fast spiral thread on them and the epoxy will lock into the thread pattern and sucure them in place.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
...and any tricks on setting up the scoop and hood so holes all line up and scoop is straight. My thoughts are to install studs and put a dap of grease on the tip of each and go for a perfect landing and hope for the best. Maybe there is a better way??
Thanks for any and all help
Charlie
Do what you've described, but set the scoop onto a large piece of cardboard, rather than on the hood. Punch out a hole where the grease marks each stud location. Set the scoop flush on the cardboard, studs through the holes. Trace around the scoop, then cut the cardboard around the outline you've drawn.You now have a template for positioning the scoop to the desired spot on the hood and establishing correct placement for the mounting holes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that idea with the cardboard!! Makes perfect sense and will make it a whole lot easier to center and line everything up. I would up using some PVC/ABS type pipe as a mold for the epoxy for the studs. That seemed to hold everything tight but to make sure I secured them down once dry with some fiberglass around the outside of the mounts for a little extra grab. Pretty much ready for paint, wound up having to open the cracks on the surface a little and then filling them to make them go completely away. Hopefully will have it on the car soon!
Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts