Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First How do you spell vynel? I have a small cut in my vynel top. about 1/4 inch long and maybe a 16th of an inch wide. It is right above the trim on the windshield, drivers side. The rest of the top I believe will look great once I put some conditioner on it. It is original and faded a little. If I do replace the top can I get an exact reproduction? How difficult of a job is this? Should this be done before or after car is painted? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
First How do you spell vynel? I have a small cut in my vynel top. about 1/4 inch long and maybe a 16th of an inch wide. It is right above the trim on the windshield, drivers side. The rest of the top I believe will look great once I put some conditioner on it. It is original and faded a little. If I do replace the top can I get an exact reproduction? How difficult of a job is this? Should this be done before or after car is painted? Thanks.
vinyl, yes I believe you can, don't know never done, usually paint first.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I don't think you will find one that is an exact match in re-production. (I seem to remember something like that in old posts on here)
The big thing you have to worry about is rust that has likely formed under the vinyl over the years.

Do a search for "Vinyl top" on here to see what others have had issues with in the past.

My old hard top had a vinyl top on it too, and it looked awesome with a little STP Son-of-a-Gun on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Replace the top. You want to keep the water from getting under the top and causing rust if it hasn't already. Get the unpadded vinyl top when you go to replace it. If your pretty handy at doing stuff then with a little help extra hands you could put a top back on. If your thinking about repainting the just wait and do it at the same time.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had the vinyl top rip right off a car while going down the highway. The whole center section from seam to seam come off. Air got under it at the front molding and tore it off. Yes replace it !

·
Registered
66 Posts
The vinyl top should be done after paint. I was going to replace mine after paint but couldn"t find material in the proper colour and grain.I kept the trim rivets on the roof and installed the trim in case that I decide to install vinyl later.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The factory didn't kill themselves on cars with vinyl tops - it was very minimal in finnish. It will take a fair amount of prep work to clean it up and get it ready even if it's not rotted underneath. Which isn't likely in you kneck of the woods. I guess it depends on how much you like the looks and maintenance of them? If I'm going to go to that much work to redo it - I'd just ditch it personally.....but I'm not a fan of them anyway. You should be able to find something that will be close if you want to keep it. Modern adhesives and paints have come a long way since then -- and so has vinyl for that matter. Search the resto places like Eastwood, MAC, etc for the proper materials to get it done right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts