Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a HUGE fan of the technology and efficiency that has gone into the modern stroked 351W, but I gotta admit, calling it a 427 or a Boss 427 is a bit irritating to me. It smacks as a "wannabe". I also waste a lot of time when I'm shopping for "real" 427 items.

I don't mean to be a snob.....I just think the stroked and bored 351W needs to get hip.

I propose ceasing to call it a 427W or Boss 427 in favor of calling it a 427 SUCK. It's named for being a Single Under Head Cam.

I hope y'all can get "down with it" because it's "bad".

Yes, I'm white and nerdy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Got it love it Ray ! But, "suck" makes it sounds as if it isn't a good alternative. Maybe we need something that simply differentiates it from the original stuff, such as 427SMALL (Sorta Maybe A Little Late).

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of the technology and efficiency that has gone into the modern stroked 351W, but I gotta admit, calling it a 427 or a Boss 427 is a bit irritating to me. It smacks as a "wannabe". I also waste a lot of time when I'm shopping for "real" 427 items.

I don't mean to be a snob.....I just think the stroked and bored 351W needs to get hip.

I propose ceasing to call it a 427W or Boss 427 in favor of calling it a 427 SUCK. It's named for being a Single Under Head Cam.

I hope y'all can get "down with it" because it's "bad".

Yes, I'm white and nerdy.
Good Point, Ray..it never seems to pay very much homage to the real thing, but then again, had the number 427 never gotten so legendary, it wouldn't have been copied and *******ized so much over the years. So, as they say, what is the greatest form of flattery?

I think really, the more Ford keeps using the 427 number, the more they are doing the legend a favor. In actuality, though, Ford Motor Co. does very little to promote the legend-it's guys like Jack Roush and Shelby that do it..Ford ought to do some of their own campaining/marketing, as they are the ones that have as much to gain as anyone. I find that a bit strange. They are pushing the legend of the BOSS 302, but the 427?

Soon us old guys will be out of the picture and the younger generations will have to do some actual reading to know what the heck a true 427 is.

Or was..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try looking for 427 parts and some ol' boy says he has a 427 in his pick up. You run across country, cross creeks, climb mountains, and do just about anything humanly possible to get to the ol' pickemup truck sitting out in the back canyon; you pull the hood up and it is a........360 with some Mickey Thompson valve covers and an old wrinkly dried up Cobra sticker from a cereal box on the inner fender...... Oh the joy of wild goose chases.......been on many and probably many more to come, but I still have that hope or glimmer of this could be the one......

Back to the 351, oh yeah, try asking any new Cobra 'kit car' gut what motor he has in his car and he responds with 427. Wow, your ears perk up, you get excited, the guy pulls the hood up and it's a frickin small block!! WTF!! You walk off with discuss......cool car for sure, probably lots of fun, but no it is not a 427. It is a stroker motor. Cool, yes, but a huge let down when you are expecting the real thing. Now you are just ticked and you could careless about the rest of the car. Haha....oh the world we live in. :) Oh well..........

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I found that thread title irritating too. Kind of like the nascar Jr. thing, riding on someone elses' thunder.

We should call it the 427Jr.

Big block - Small block comparison, Rat - Mouse (Chevrolet nomenclature)
Since the 427 is known as the 427FE, maybe the Windsor version should be called the FLEA?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Ford Under Head Cam. It could then be commonly called the FUHC'ed 427
Now THAT is funny! So Many Ford Fans these days are FUHC'ed..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why not simply call it what it is? A 351W stroker. Or maybe a seven liter 351, although that might be confusing for those familiar with the metric nomenclature used for the GTE.

Unless you'd go into business promoting custom-built 351 engines stroked to 427 cubes like yours, it wouldn't matter at all.
It's not a boss, it wasn't a 427 from the factory, nor do parts interchange with a genuine 2nd gen. FE.

No offense, just my .02.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
To differentiate from the FE maybe "427 SB" or "427 Wanna Be".

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I find this irritating too. I was watching some show where they were building a Cobra from a shell. They were talking about the 427 that was going into it and was anxious to see it. When they finally showed it I saw that it was a Windsor. How disappointing. They need to call it what it is. A Windsor stroked to 427. If I stoked my Cleveland I would certainly not just go around calling it a 427.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
OK, my $.02
The 427W was conceived for the budget kit car owners that wanted to use the "427 Cobra" insignias and not be a liar.

It sounds like a couple of you guys want to get into a 427FE and 427W "discussion", that's cool. I can be on either side of the fence. :D

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Art, I like them both. They both have a place. I would like to build a GT-E tribute that would be 427 Windsor powered, but backed by and AOD, 4 wheel discs, and several other goodies. On the other hand, I have had people tell me that my real GT-E is powered by a Windsor stoker motor, and that Ford didn't even build a 427. Yes, these are young guys that simply don't know better. After all, who would believe that Ford built a 427, a 428, and a 429, at the same time, and that all three had significantly different bore and stroke, and even three different block castings.

So for the purpose of discussion here, I am just kicking the can down the road and having fun...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Art, I like them both. They both have a place. I would like to build a GT-E tribute that would be 427 Windsor powered, but backed by and AOD, 4 wheel discs, and several other goodies. On the other hand, I have had people tell me that my real GT-E is powered by a Windsor stoker motor, and that Ford didn't even build a 427. Yes, these are young guys that simply don't know better. After all, who would believe that Ford built a 427, a 428, and a 429, at the same time, and that all three had significantly different bore and stroke, and even three different block castings.

So for the purpose of discussion here, I am just kicking the can down the road and having fun...

HAHA! I can picture some young kids saying that, but for me..........I used to do reports in school on Carroll Shelby, Shelby Mustangs, Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, Dan Gurney, Ford Experimental cars and the like when I was just in the fifth through eigth grade(1995 to 98). What has come to these kids these days. :) (joking)

To tell you the truth, I hope the young kids(my generation) don't learn about these powerhouses, so when auctions and estate sales come up from old car guys I can be right there buying these cars from the family or trading them 'old' Honda's, Nissans, Toyotas and other cars that the new generation of kids used to drove in high school. Look at the stock Model A's to Muscle Car generation shift....the exact same thing is just repeating itself now. Now Muscle cars are slowly being forgotten in the place of other newer cars that the current generation remembered. It's not going at a super fast pace(obviously from BJ auction results, but how many young buyers are there compared to older?), but in time it will happen(over the next 30 years). History repeats itself. Out with the old and in with the new.....but I will just keep the old ones around; atleast they are all paid for. Then when my estate sale comes around, someone else can come in on some sweet deals. :)

Back to the discussion I vote on "Stroked 351W". It's true in every way and it is not misleading.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
OK, my $.02
The 427W was conceived for the budget kit car owners that wanted to use the "427 Cobra" insignias and not be a liar.

It sounds like a couple of you guys want to get into a 427FE and 427W "discussion", that's cool. I can be on either side of the fence. :D
I'd say that getting 427 cubes into a block that was designed to be 351 cubes is a wonder of modern technology/engineering.

Still, I gotta wonder how they are able to keep those tiny-skirted pistons from from flopping around in the cylinders!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I'd say that getting 427 cubes into a block that was designed to be 351 cubes is a wonder of modern technology/engineering.

Still, I gotta wonder how they are able to keep those tiny-skirted pistons from from flopping around in the cylinders!
I believe the 427W dimensions to be a little bit over "square". I feel a long rod 408W to be a better combination of bore, stroke, rod-stroke ratio for racing.

Still, cubic inches equal torque.

Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars. Enzo Ferarri

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The 427W or 427FE is really no bigger deal than Ford making two completely different 351s at the same time in the first place. I am, of course, referring to the Windsor and Cleveland. If we 351 guys learned to get over that, we can surely get over this silly 427 thing. I mean really, the last time Ford made a 427FE was when???

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I must be mellowing in my old age. The Boss 427 moniker does not bother me a bit. I'm just glad Detroit is still making performance cars and racing parts. I like the Bullitt, Boss, Mach and Shelby throwbacks.

The last time I saw a 427FE in the FMS catalog was 05-06. They carried the Genesis iron and aluminum blocks. And some crate engines were listed. I think Ford had Roush do the machine work and build the crate engines. Roush had some issues with the Genesis blocks and they were dropped. I heard Pond's blocks were going to be used but then the program was dropped from Ford Racing. So not many FE parts left in the Ford Racing catalog. Head gaskets (re packed Fel Pro's) are about it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I find this irritating too...... If I stoked my Cleveland I would certainly not just go around calling it a 427.
Mike, does that mean..... If I were to stroke my Cleveland to 'only' a 393; I should NOT immediately go out and get "6.5 Litre" badges? :1poke:

A few caveats:

1. The "393" is itself a misnomer; with the stroker kit actually producing closer to 392 CID. The 'extra" cube is just there to differentiate the engine from the old Mopar Hemi.

2. The "351" nomenclature was similarly 'assigned' for a similar reason! Bore/stroke/"swept area" all are virtually identical to the 352FE; and Ford wanted to 'remove the confusion'.

3. Even at 'only' 392 CID, a stroked Cleveland or Windsor (Almost said "Wheezer" - spend too much time lurking on 351 Cleveland dot net) is closer to 6.5 Litres than a 390FE.

4.) I wouldn't kick any of them out of a car!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Mike, does that mean..... If I were to stroke my Cleveland to 'only' a 393; I should NOT immediately go out and get "6.5 Litre" badges? :1poke:

A few caveats:

1. The "393" is itself a misnomer; with the stroker kit actually producing closer to 392 CID. The 'extra" cube is just there to differentiate the engine from the old Mopar Hemi.

2. The "351" nomenclature was similarly 'assigned' for a similar reason! Bore/stroke/"swept area" all are virtually identical to the 352FE; and Ford wanted to 'remove the confusion'.

3. Even at 'only' 392 CID, a stroked Cleveland or Windsor (Almost said "Wheezer" - spend too much time lurking on 351 Cleveland dot net) is closer to 6.5 Litres than a 390FE.

4.) I wouldn't kick any of them out of a car!
There are lots of grey areas involved with Ford engines. If it were a Chevy, you could just thow in the SB or BB (I believe you can a stroker kit to make a 427SB now). If I were to do my Cleveland to 427 (which I wouldn't because it is too much stroke) I would simple call it a 427 Cleveland.

I knew of the 352/351 thing, and understood why they did it. My Clevo is punch .030 over, but I don't go around calling it a 357.

I don't see a problem with putting a 6.5 or 7.0 badge on a car with a stroker (not a fan of non-original badges though), but putting an original style 427SC badge on a car with a stroked Wheezer is iffy in my book. If I see a Cobra with this badge on it at a car show I always walk over to it and look. I have only seen one that actually had an FE in it so far, all other times I was disappointed in a way.

I will no doubt want to stroke mine at some point ( I am a true beliver in Tim Allens outlook on life), but I will call it a 392 or 408 Cleveland or just a Cleveland. To be honest, I would prefer to stroke a "small" block over having a "big" block for a fun vehicle because the torque on a long stroke engine is unreal, while bigger bores with shorter strokes are more for spinning high RPM's and horsepower. If I were going for originality I would use the original engine, but for play, "small" blocks are it.

One thing to point out is that everything I just said is all crap in the bigger picture, just my opinion and what I like. When it comes to my cars, I will follow just that, my opinion. When it comes to anyone elses cars, they should follow their opinion and tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine. I am all for building it the way you like it (this is obvious if you have seen any of my build), so none of this should influence anyone to not do what they plan or like.

If you want a frickin stroked W in a GT-E clone, I say go for it, might be a more fun car to drive than the original anyway. If you want to strip out the original BOSS 2 from a 70 Eliminator and put a W in because you think Clevelands are crap, go for it. I will have many not so nice things to say about that one, but at the end of the day it is your car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts