Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all - How the &@!# do you remove the plastic knobs from the window crank handles???? :confused:

I'm sure it is very simple and I'll feel really stupid when you tell me how easy it is. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
seeing as hwo they press fit from the back side, id say get a clip removal tool (door panel tool, whatever, one of those thigns that can "straddle" the post and put pressure on the retainer)...and pry it off.... from what ive seen online u just press the new ones in (with a vice etc) to get the new ones installed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am not sure what year they press fit them on but on my 68 they are attached with a screw. Take an exacto knife or similar thin sharp blade and use it to lift the center disc out of the knob. The round middle is kinda like a sticker. once you remove it then the screw head will be accessable.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hang on I am going to run out to the barn I think I got that wrong..Ok went out and checked. The knobs on the quarter windows are pressed on. The knobs on the front windows are on with a screw. You remove the round disk from the handle where it attached to the door. Remove the handle and then you can access the screw that holds the knob. Hope that helps?

·
Registered
389 Posts
He's not askin about how to remove the crank from the door...hes asking about removing the plastic knob from the crank itself...

·
Registered
267 Posts
His pres. says a 69.
Im pretty shure its the same as 70, they are press fitted, you have to pry them of with for an example screwdriver.
The knobs are onetimers, you have to buy new ones i think(~$4 each).

/Tommy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One-timers is right! Is everything on these cars made out of pot metal or cast aluminum??? 3 of the 4 barbed screws broke while removing the knobs. I hope new screws come with the new knobs!

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
west coast's knobs come with new barbed press in fasteners....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Changed my knobs a couple days ago, yes new barbed press in fasteners comes with the knobs. I used a vise to press them together.

/Tommy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts