Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to take the left rear axle shaft out and check if its bent on the 70. I gather its the removable carrier type, anyone got any advice to offer.
9" Diff.
Thanks

PS: On the picture its the right hand side one.
Sorry, took picture off as it was so wide.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think you remove the wheel, brakes, (i think you can remove the brake assy by unbolting the plate and moving it aside).
There are 4 bolts that are accessed thru a hole in the axle flange, it should slide out. I like to put the axle back in in the same position, so i mark it and the housing w/ a paint pen. not sure if it is important though. I have not done this since the that 80's.

rich

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Axle shaft removal, 8" or 9" rear

Very simple Dayle.

1. Remove wheel
2. remove brake drum. now face the rear brakes.
3. Towards the center, behind the axle flange you'll see four nuts. Remove the nuts. You can get a socket and extension on them if you turn the axle and go through one of the 'holes' in the face of the axle flange (that's what they're there for!).
4. Pull on the axle. It may take some persuasion. If you put your brake drum (or preferably a spare one) on backwards, and thread on the lugnuts by a few threads you can use the drum as a sort of slide hammer to help pull the axle out. The hole in the brake backing plate is juuuusssst smaller than the outside diameter of the wheel bearing that is pressed onto the axle. If there is any rust on your backing plates, sand the inside diameter of the hole in the backing plate to make things easier. The axle should come out with no problems, mate!

Once you have the axle out, now is the bst time to replace the axle seal. pry out the old one and tap in the new one. I use a short piece of the right size exhaust tubing and hit that with a block of wood to apply even force all the way arund the new seal to avoid damaging the new seal.

The best way to check for axle straighness is
before you remove the axle, simply spin it after you have the wheel and brake drum removed. If there is any wobble at all at the outer edge of the axle flange, it is bent. You might want to check it with a dial indicator to detect any slight bending.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, that is the procedure that was in my copies of "Fix your Ford", just was'nt to sure about the part where they said to use an impact hammer to get it out, and also if I was right with the type of diff, apparently there are 3 different diff's.. I have just got her back from having all the bushings replaced, and the guy said that it is definitely bent, you can see the tyre wobble as she drives [me driving behind S driving car], remember I mentioned this quite awhile ago, and I had thought that it may be the rim that was bent cos' the back rims were two joined to make one wide one, anyway now that I have the new rims and she is still wobbling I guess it can only be the axle shaft. When she still belonged to the previous, previous owner she was hit on that side at the rear.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture, resized.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Don't know if you need these, but I am changing the axle seals in my 69 so I shot a with seal and without seal for you.
The one on the left still has the seal, the one on the right has the seal removed (and a paper towel stuffed in the housing to stop drippage).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob, might have a couple more questions tomorrow re all that, have to try and get my scanner to work first, it shares a USB port with my printer and is very upset about it, very unpredictable to try and get it going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts