Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First , I'd like to say "hello" to everyone, I'm a new guy. I just saved up my aluminum can money and got a '68 standard Cougar. It's very exciting, as this will be my '10-year' project car.

Anywho, one of the first things that I' m doing is replacing the oil pan. Whoever owned it previously fixed a hole in the pan by coating the entire bottom of it , including the drain plug, with JB Weld. My question is, how do I get the freaking crossmember off so that I can drop the pan? I've been wailing at it for two days, and it's stuck pretty tight. Right now the car's front end is up on ramps. Should it be on jack stands to relieve some of the tension?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brian - welcome to the board. You made a great get on that 68. there should only be a bolt on each end holding the xmember in place. I sure hope the PO did'nt use JB on those also as they should come out fairly easily.
Maybe try some PB blaster overnight. I can't remember if those are blind holes, but if they are not you might be able to drop in some lubricant from the top. Good luck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Brian, if the pent oil soak dosnt do the trick, dont go to the breaker bar and 3' pipe trick. You will break them off if you do as the bolts are not really that big and 30 years rusting on them weakens them more.

A torch maybe required if all else fails to heat the area surrounding the bolts. mm

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I was apprehensive about using a pipe and breaker bar - I kind of thought those bolt heads might shear off. I'm glad to know that there's no 'secret' to getting them loose.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts