Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a clue on how to do this before I use too much force? The outer bearing just pops out, but the inner one is set into the drum with a seal around the outside. Also how can I tell if the bearings are bad, they look good and they dont have pits or anything and they're not shaky or wobbly...
thanks guys...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just took the drum off the front drivers side and there was a strange looking orange residue on the bearings, the inner one feels really rough when I spin it which would drastically increase in noise when the full weight of the car rest on it. the upper ball joints were changed a year ago, but the boots are already busted and grease is everywhere, would that cause the wheel to collapse inward and cause a lot of negative camber?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Put the drum back on, leave the outer bearing out, then put the spindle nut back on (without washer). Grab hold of the drum and pull sharply towards you, this should pop the inner bearing and seal off onto the spindle.

The orange stuff probably means you got some moisture in with the grease. I would replace the bearings, races, and seals. Not very expensive for peace of mind.

Ball joints should not go bad within a year, even with bad boots. Enough grease should still be on them. Bad upper or lower ball joints can cause negative camber, however, the most likely cause is one of two things. You may have bad lower control arm inner bushings or the adjustment eccentrics moved.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts