Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 69 cougar, and i need to remove not hte lock cylinder but the actual latch from the door, you take off the 3 screws but how do you disconnect the 4 rods from the door handles and locks from the latch?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the rods should have just a "collar" on them that you flip up that then allows them to slide out of where they are attached too. the ones on the actual latch assembly will be harder to see, so take a look at the ones that are attached to the door handle. that should give you an idea of how they operate so you can pull them off without having to look at them. get used to working blindly when it comes to windows and door handles. they werent ment to come off unless they really had too lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres a hole cut in my door right were the latch assembly is, i guess it has already had work done on it before. so i just pull it off?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm, do you have a pic??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
made a mistake

my car is a 68 not a 69. its like a pin slides througha hole in the rod and on that pin is a washer thing thats connected to a slide that slides over the slide. thats the best i can explain it. also i have a regualr 302 in my car and for some reason it had solid lifters. i know nthing of that the people before me did to it. does this mean it had a different cam as well? book says it should come with hydrolic lifters. also this car came with a high compression head on one side and a normal head on the there. so any ideas on the cam?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts