Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide relatively simple instructions for removing the door and quarter panels from a 1968 XR-7? I've never done it before and want to ensure I don't damage any components.

Thanks,

DCL

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Doors aren't too bad, but rear quarter panels are very labor intensive. Do you mean the front fenders, to get the doors off? The hard part about the fenders, is the stuff you have to remove from "inside" the fender. The lower valance bolts, and the bolts that hold the fenders to the radiator support, that are behind the headlight assembly.
The factory manual for your car has some decent exploded diagrams, or your best bet would be the actual body assembly manual that is available from any of the vendors, or like ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mercury-Cougar-Body-Assembly-Manual-68-Hood-Windows-Locks-Trim-Bumpers-/360438961517?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item53ebd6156d

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, sir, I'm speaking only of the interior door and quarter panels. I'm replacing the seals atop the doors next to the windows, which means the door and quarter panels will have to come out. I know the window crank handles and arm rests will need to be removed first (and the back seat removed), but prying the door panels away from the doors is where I'm uncertain.

Thanks,

DCL

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
A trim removal tool is nice to have to pop the clips loose, without pulling them out of the door panels. The quarter panels have 3 or so screws holding it in place, then pull up to remove. This is a good time to grease your regulators and runners. I am at this stage as well. I put new regulators in the quarters and what a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts