Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the control valve on my 69. Looking at the shop manual it says to use tool 3290-c to remove the control valve ball stud...Do I need this tool or is there some other way to do this? thanks tony

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Tony the tool would be nice but you can take a big hammer and beat the front of the pitman arm to jarr the ball stud loose. Dont use a pickle fork or you will just drive the ball stud out of the control valve. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
hammer works good, just make sure you keep the nut on a few threads so it doesnt fall and damage anything. Hit the pitman arm while prying down on the vavle with a pry bar will help, just be careful you dont crack yourself in the face when the vavle falls (thats why you keep the nut on :))

Rick

·
Registered
269 Posts
With a big block there is very little room to swing a hammer at anything down there, so after bruising my knockles and the threads I bought the tool for about $55. I have used it several times and the task is so much easier with the right tool. If you are planning on keeping the car for years or getting another ford that also has a control valve it is worth it.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Guys pull an input shaft from an old trans and lay it up against the pitman arm and whack away. The shock trasfer will elongate thehole for a second and drop the CV out. Another way is a long pipe down past brake booster to CV and pound but if you want to keep the ball stud not so good an idea. The CV can be resealed w/o taking it out of car. Simply undo the end cap and 1/2 nut then the two 1/2 bolts inner side as well as the four hoses and its out. $10 later its back in.. If you arn't too good at CV repair best to get someone who knows as set up is critical.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
What? You mean you don't MM? Yeesh... :)

What I did to get mine separated was to go to home depot and buy a 3 ft long steel bar, with a 3ft long steel tube. Dropped the tube down from the engine bay around the ball stud, dropped the steel bar down the tube, took a 2lb sledge, and gave it two solid whacks and it dropped right out...

This was after going the pickle fork route and getting thoroughly frustrated...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What is the control valve, sorry for dumb question, but the removal tecnique sounds so very interesting:)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan said:
What? You mean you don't MM? Yeesh... :)

What I did to get mine separated was to go to home depot and buy a 3 ft long steel bar, with a 3ft long steel tube. Dropped the tube down from the engine bay around the ball stud, dropped the steel bar down the tube, took a 2lb sledge, and gave it two solid whacks and it dropped right out...

This was after going the pickle fork route and getting thoroughly frustrated...
Yes as a matter of fact I do have one. Actually I have 2, 1 ford and 1 chevy. I use them for lining up clutch plates on reassembly.

Actually Logan your method is the best and almost fool proof but I'll just grab the hammer and have it knocked off before you get out the driveway headed for Home Depot!! :D mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
hahaha... I had tried to get a hammer in there to get a good enough whack at it, but my aim was so crappy I was hitting stuff I shouldn't be, so I figured I'd play it safe... :)

72, the control valve being referred to is where your steering box connects to the steering linkage, the arm from the steering box connects to the power steering control valve ball stud.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks Logan, are we going to have to go thru' all that when we check out our steering problems?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan said:
Just remember, there's almost nothing a BFH can't fix...
Yeah those are words my ole man lives by! I guess I have had enough practice with the BFH myself that I can pretty much hit on target!! LOL mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
72Cat: I believe that the Cats after 70 have an integral P/S system. All the good stuff is in the steering box instead of dangling in the breeze.
So you lucked out on 1 and not the other. After you work on it you'll know which is which! :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
modifiedmark said:
Yeah those are words my ole man lives by! I guess I have had enough practice with the BFH myself that I can pretty much hit on target!! LOL mm
When I'm away from "my ole man"'s garage (and tools), my tool box consists of a BFH, JB Weld, and a roll of duct tape. Not pretty, but it'll get you home!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
After you work on it you'll know which is which!
Well now, ain't that something to look forward to:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts