Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

How in the world do I get the trim around the side windows removed? I'm talking about the chrome that is attached along the edge of the roof, and bends around by the back window and ends at the door. I tried prying gently, and bent the trim a little, which was not good.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hard to explain,. but ill try. this is what i do.. i get a flat blade screwdriver and try to "roll" the trim off of the lip that its on. it will roll upwards over the lip and come off that way. its only pinched on the drip rail, there are no screws or bolts or anything. generally i start on the end of it and gently pry it up until i can get at least the end off of the car, then i slowly work around the moulding. be careful where the roof curves around the C pillar as that usually is an area where it kinda doesnt like letting go. god i wish i could draw it out or something lol. ive done it a few times with no problems. even helping another guy with a Mustang after he trashed the mouldings trying to remove them. its easy once you know how.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I get it. So you place the blade on the top side of the trim, not the underneath side?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
no no no... lol. see? im no good at this lol, you slide the blade underneath the trim and pry it up basically. just try to roll it up and over the lip that its attached to.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
there's 2 or 3 screws inside under the weatherstripping if its the hockey stick ones your wanting to remove. The drip rail ones, use an old bottle opener, wrap tape around the round end, an pry up on the trim.

Rick

·
Registered
175 Posts
Blue - I just did this over the fall and winter. Sixt9 's procedure is right on. And the answer to your second question is yes. pry it off from the top side, starting at the back end. The end tip of the front end is rolled over. If you try to start there you could damage the molding. Make sure your screwdriver has as wide a blade you can get. I used a small pry bar so the angled handle helped. When you go to put it back on use a rubber mallet to tap it on starting at the front. Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The Best screww driver

The Best screw driver to use for removing trim is the electritions screw driver.Its the long flat eged one the tip is flat enough to get under most peices.DO NOT USE ANY screwdriver on the WINSHIELD unless you want to buy a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i use the rounded edge of an old bottle opener....you know the kind from the old days with a pointed edge on one side for peircing cans,..and the other end for bottle caps?....anyways...the posts are right on,...one thing i've also found is that you should work ahead of the trim,....that is start prying and keep moving on,..hard to explain but,...it doesnt always let go in the spot that you are prying untill you move on about a foot or so...then it starts to let go,..Especially around the the tuns!!..ive done so many now that really ,...i just use my fingers....

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hey BlueMeanie

Give me a shout if you need help.
I'm planning to remove my vinyl top this spring/summer so I'll need a heads up on removing my own trim.

I have weekends free and i'm in NE PDX. Email me if you need assistance.

[email protected]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was on the site a few days ago looking for a post about this subject as that is where I am stuck myself. Do you need to drill out the rivets on the back edge, too?
Not to change the subject too much, but I saw a post months ago about removing the chrome trim around the windshield/rear window. Does anyone know how I could find it? Thanx, Scott

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
this is the best i can do for drawing out the tool that you need for the trim around the windshields. its a tool that you use to unhook the clips that are holding the trim down. and what rivets are you talking about? im not aware of any holding the trim on....

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

The rivets are on the back edge of the area above the hockey sticks. I think there are 4 of them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks for the visual aid! I got the drivers side off tonight. Popped right off, but I did bend it a little. I think it survived. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts