Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this company, 'Ready Remote', it's possible that their remote starters will work in a carbureted vehicle. Would this system work with a classic cougar?

Site: http://www.readyremote.com/faqs.asp?answer=16
The ability of any remote starter to actually start the vehicle is always at question when installing on a carbureted vehicle. We recommend first identifying how the vehicle starts in the morning when cold.
Case One:
If you press and hold the gas down while cranking the vehicle and the vehicle starts within 6 seconds, AND then as you release the starter you release the gas AND the vehicle then continues to run a full 10 minutes without any intervention then any remote start we manufacture combined with our carburetor kit will work just fine.
Case Two:
Case 1 will not start the vehicle BUT If you press the gas ONCE and release it, then turn the vehicle to start, cranking no more than 6 seconds, and the vehicle starts and runs 10 minutes without any further intervention than our 30 series units such as the 20036 plus our carburetor kit will work.
Case Three:
You don't need to touch the gas to start the vehicle. You are really lucky! Any of our remote starts will work, without needing the carburetor kit!
Case four:
You have tried Case 1 and Case 2 above and cannot get either method to work. You either have to pump the gas multiple times, or keep tapping it just after the car starts for a few minutes -- or the car starts and stalls multiple times. In this case, a remote car starter cannot be installed unless the vehicle is repaired to start and run properly.

I don't know which case a cougar would be (hopefully case three) as I'm still dreaming about one (I'm still in the contemplation stage.. Wondering what I can do with one to make it a nice daily driver and such, and wondering whether or not a classic cat is the best course of action.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The problem with carb'd cars is just that you have to have a very well tuned/maintened car for it to work consistanly. On the old cars when it's cold out, the choke is set by deprressing the gas pedal once to close it and squirt a shot of fuel and then it's ready to start. So if you are going to get it to work you have to have the ability for that to happen - or be warm enough to not nessearily need a closed choke. Again it may still need a blast of fuel though.....so it's kinda dicey. It really depends on how well you have everything dialed in and working properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah. Well, you see, I live in Florida, and it is very uncommon for it to get really cold here- I'd use it more to get it cooled off in the car when I head for it at the end of the day. A blast of fuel.. Gosh, it all sounds like it's on the very edge of possibility, yet there always seems to be something, eh? :1poke:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I seem to recall having read something, I forget where, about using a solenoid to kick the throttle once before the remote starter kicks in (talk about dicey!). I don't think there is any sure-fire way to do it with a carb'ed vehicle.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts