Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about my glove box not opening with my trunk key and checked with a lock smith about rekeying the glovebox. He said 20.00 a just a few minutes to do it if I brought the lock cylinder down to him.
That got me thinking: how can something that only takes a few minutes cost 20.00? My Italian heritage took over and I resolved to do it my self, not having a clue what was involved. Let me tell you, it was easy. Trust me you can re-key 100 lock cylinders before you can (or attempt to) rebuild 1 carberator.

Involved was: Removal of the housing (punch out retaining pin), remove top cover, invert to remove 3 "brass tumblers?", replace them in an order which permits the key to turn the lock.
Reassemble and buy 24 beer with the 20.00 bux you saved.

I hope I didn't offend any locksmiths out there, but it only took me 30 minutes while I watching band of brothers. Now I can't wait to tackle the ignition cylinder to match it to my door key... Ye-ha.:p:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
thats cool. i have to try that now. now try it this way... turn a blank key in the ignition or lock hard enough to make the imprints visible on the key blank. then use a file to cut out the pattern of the tumblers. in a bout 10 minutes you can make a key to a lock pretty easy. yeah, it takes practice but its not too hard when you get it down right. if i get that 70 i want, im gonna have to do this. and get a new ignition lock and trunk lock as well. ill combine both techniques and let you all know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts