Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the factory redline on the 351W in 69?? mine was a 2bbl piece. still stock innerds and i dont want it to go boom should one of those pesky Camaros pulls up next to me at a light. while im at it, what about a 72 Q code 351C?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Factory 'redline'

Well, it depends. Have you modified the engine/trans/ intake/exhaust in any way? if not, the stock 2V is good for around 4800. any higher and you're on the wrong side of the torque curve. For the 72 'Q' motor, again assuming all stock, you're good to around 5200.

Oh, you can rev the engines higher, but what I'm trying to say about being 'on the wrong side of the torque curve' is that you will be better off (quicker) shifting before the absolute red line.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the 69 351W has a Performer Intake, Holley 600, Hedman headers, Dual 2.5 in pipes with 3 Chamber Flomasters. the bottom end and cam are stock though. its a stock FMX and stock 3.00 open rear end.the 72 351C is pretty stock now, but i want to use that car as a weekend car. Honestly i want a 12 second car. I know as with all car projects, that will take at least twice as long and cost twice as much as i am willing to spend. but at least to start with, i want a hotter cam in it, headers, and i havent decided on the intake or carb yet. Im thinking Performer RPM and MAYBE a 650 Holley. im pretty sure a 750 isa bit too much for that engine. at least for now he he he. the car has a 4 spd ( not a clos ratio one ) and a3.50 Traction lok in the rear. i want to have fun with it so i think i will. he he he

1 - 3 of 3 Posts