Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Eastwood sell red oxide primer in a spray can? I have looked through their catalog and don't see it. Who might? I am looking to paint my diferential. Also Would it be a good idea to put type of sealant on the metal first as I have heard that the primer alone will actually attract moisture?

·
Registered
913 Posts
You can buy the primer in a spray can from most parts stores, and you don't need any sealer.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
On mine I use an actual red oxide paint and brush it on. None of these things were done with finesse as you can find runs on most differentials and rear axles. Since I use a lot of Kelly Moore Red Oxide Metal Primer on the Hornet I find it works well here also and is quite tough. It is an oil base alkyd enamel...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you get the red oxide paint?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
In California, Kelly Moore, is a big manufacturer of paints just like Sherman Williams, Valspar, Benjamin Moore and others depending on the region of the country. Just look in the phone book under paints and make a phone call about oil based alkyd enamel paint. Should come in qt. and gal. Since I heard that there is going to be a large increase in the price of paint on June 1st, due to increasing resin costs, you might look now.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, specially since we are flooded and I sure can't do anything else, will give me something to do today.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yuo moght try por products---kinda pricy---$ 19.00 per pint , but ive got three coats of engine enamil on my hemi and still have 1/2 pint left---buy a cheep 2" brush and shorted the bristles by about---this way you can kind stipple the paint in the casting pores--use VERY thin coats and allow a couple days to dry between coats---it looks like baked on/sprayed paint--no brush marks at all
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks doctordesoto, will look there also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts