Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I'm getting ready to start re-doing the interior of my cat and was looking at seat covers.:eek2:
Man, they range anywhere from 199 - 400. Does anyone have any advice on where to get them? Who sells the best compared to price. I mean the cheapest price doesnt always mean the worst quality and visa versa... Looking for some input on this one....
Scott

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
All the manufacturer's have pluses and minuses. I have used Auto Krafters, Mustangs Unlimited and John's Classic Cougars. John's by far was better quality. I would definitely recommend John's for fit, finish and original look. Attached is a picture of one of my front seats I just completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I just received my 70 XR7 conv. interior from Johns and it looks primo. Can't wait to have it put on. Hey DJGIFF, was your seat foam in good shape or did you replace it. If so, with what?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I also purchased the seat foam from John's. Apparantly the only foam currently available for the Cougar is the '69-'70 high back seats (non-XR7 leather seats). Makes the seats much more comfortable compared to the almost deteriorated original ones. There has been a thread recently on Yahoo regarding the same topic using Mustang foam even though it's not an exact fit. I wasn't following it but you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We ordered a front and rear set from John's which look identical to Jeff's seat in the picture except in white for my son's 69 conv. Looks super! It was $525 but well worth it. Great quality.
Hey, Jeff, what color and year is that seat, 69 or 70? We were told the Elim. style only came in white,black, or blue for 69 so we went with white. Is that saddle,tan, or ginger? Decor comfortweave? That is the look and color I want for my m code project. The car is dark aqua and that color combo would be great!

Jim

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
That is my Ginger Decor Comfortweave interior. Materials matched almost perfectly to the original ones I removed. The center comfortweave is a little lighter in color but I like it alot better. Fit and finish are excellent. My '69 Eliminator will get the same set in black when the time comes. This was for my Convertible.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks, Jeff, this is for a 69 conv. John has no problem making the for a conv, also. I have a 70 set of high back seats I will use. I prefer the high back comfort and the 69 body style.
ITOW, you may find cheaper, but John's quality is great!

Jim

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. This is what I was wanting to find out. I was trying to avoid learning the hard way if you know what I mean!!! Does anyone know if the covers from John's are better than the covers from Ken's Cougars? I talked to them on the phone but they seemed like they were too busy to talk to me and weren't very friendly about it. Made me feel like I was bothering them!
My main thing is I only want to do this 1 time!!! I've spent hundreds of hours on the rest of the car (suspension and underbody is done getting ready to strip the body to have it painted.
Thanks again...
Scott

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ken's Cougars is the same quality from what I've heard. Second hand knowledge says that Ken buys his seat covers from John but I never heard that from Ken so don't hold me to it. Ken's seat covers are really nice too.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ken's treated me the same way, so don't feel like you were singled out. I guess that is one reason I prefer John's.

Jim

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its funny. Im in business and if I treted people like that I wouldnt be long!!!
Scott

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I had dealings with Ken's and didn't go there. I'd suggest going to a local upholstery shop and see how much they can make them for you! They can get the original material. I just had mine done for the back and it cost aroun $600 for the back. Compared to the NOS set on the front, he did an excellent job and will last longer than the NOS ones. My motto is "Do it ONCE!". Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scott: Just FYI. I just talked to John today about my own interior. He does make them himself, and he is currently 4+ weeks out on shipping them.
I am in the service business myself,and I'm very intolerant of bad service. I'm glad to say that John was very helpful in answering my MANY questions. I probably talked with him for 20 minutes about various issues with my cat. I agree with you about prices, but he certainly is very knowledgable(in business for 20 yrs). You don't last that long cutting corners and charging premium prices! I plan on ordering thru him. I hope this helps! Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also had John make me a set for an XR-7 that had leather,they match color and grain exactly, even if they are vinyl. He's not the fastest,but i always get the right thing from John.

Tim

·
Registered
885 Posts
I haven't bought one part from Ken's Cougars for two reasons. The first reason is I was subjected to an other than professional attitude during a phone call some months back, the second is poor or sporatic responsiveness to a parts inquiry (this week), and the third reason is price. Oh, did I say only two reasons?

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Bob, I agree....worth the wait with John and he is always honest with me. I've been doing business with him for 18 years now and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have too....never had an issue with Ken. Ordered some tie rod ends from him a couple of months ago with one that was bad. Returned no problem and replaced all within one week. Ken's alright in my book.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How about headliners for 71-72?
Who is better?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Hmmm......never had to buy a headliner for my convertible!! LOL. When I get around to getting one for my Eliminator I'll have to then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts