Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to see if there are any suggestions from the group on suspension upgrades, specially front suspension. A couple years ago I rebuilt the entire front end using Mustangs Plus Grab-a-track suspension kit http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-73-Grab-A-Trak-Performance-Suspension-Rebuild-Kit.html and got the 1" lower springs.

I'd like to think that it could still handle a lot better than just replacing these parts. Are there any suggestions on additional things I could do to make her perform better?

It's a 1970 351w and with an AOD tranny. Am looking at replacing the leaf springs next.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Many here would recommend that you do NOT use the poly strut rod bushing. Most of the other stuff is good.

Don't forget to use front and rear sway bars. Addco makes them in various diameters to make the handling whatever you want.

And you'll need to stiffen the shock towers with a straight mone carlo bar. I like the stuff from MPG Head Service since it is also quick-release for easy access to spark plugs and the like.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I have a front anti-roll bar (15/16") from a big-block 70 Mustang and a 3/4" Hellwig rear bar, both use urethane bushings. Urethane bushings on the rear leaf springs. KYB GR-2 shocks in the back, Gabriel Gas Ryders in the front. Roller bearing front spring perches, front end otherwise stock. The car handles very well. 69 XR 7 with a 351W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts