Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all the vacuum accessories to worry about - light covers, vacuum reservoir, brake master cyl.

Any recommendations for best carb solution here? Going after streetrod performance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What other mods do you have? Is it a factory intake or aftermarket? If aftermarket, is it single or dual plane? If the engine is basically stock you need about 500 cfm, but a well tuned 600 cfm carb can be very versatile. I would look at the Carter AFB style Edelbrock 600 cfm, with a tune kit and tune manual. When running that style of carb, it's best that you run a good paper element fuel filter because the jets are on the floor of the fuel bowls...any debris that makes it past a mesh filter will clog the jets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got a 12 year old MSD unit + Mallory distributor on it and an Edelbrock intake from the 80s - I can't remember exactly what kind - I'll have to check it out again when I get to the car sitting out on the farm next weekend. Other than that, stock. I think it had a Holley 4160 600cfm matched to it in the past.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is the distributor a points style or magnetic pick-up? If it's not a magnetic pick-up, then I'd highly suggest the conversion...and it's easy. If you are buying new (the way to go), then go with the Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm carb. While your at it, get the tune kit...I think it's called the Calibration Kit. You can also get tuning info on the Edelbrock website...or pick up the Carter AFB performance manual...the carbs are the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - it's magnetic. Love it! Night and day difference not having to mess around with points every other day!

Thanks for the info... I looked at that carb on Amazon and for some strange reason it says it isn't compatible... I bet the web site is just messed up - I can't see why it wouldn't work fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep - it's magnetic. Love it! Night and day difference not having to mess around with points every other day!

Thanks for the info... I looked at that carb on Amazon and for some strange reason it says it isn't compatible... I bet the web site is just messed up - I can't see why it wouldn't work fine.
I for got to mention that you'll need the Ford kickdown adapter to use with an automatic tranny. I'll do a little research and post up part numbers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All of these part numbers are from Summit Racing that I looked up on Edelbrock's website. EDL-1483 kickdown adapter, EDL-1490 throttle cable adapter, EDL-1479 calibration kit, EDL-1405 carburetor 600cfm manual choke, SAD-SA130 Carter/Edelbrock tuning manual

·
11,000 Posts
Actually that is false. You don't need any kickdown adapter for any carburetor, The kickdown linkage does not connect to the carburetor on 67 - 68 models.

I for got to mention that you'll need the Ford kickdown adapter to use with an automatic tranny. I'll do a little research and post up part numbers.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have a Holley Street Avenger 670 on my 393W, love it! Great throttle response. Lots of vacuum ports for accessories, unlike the cheaper 'universal' carbs. Rear 'old school' metering block instead of metering plate for ease of secondary tuning. Also has annular discharge boosters for better fuel atomization and economy/throttle response. Your 302 application wouldn't need something that large. Try a 570 Street Avenger instead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THanks for the info... The street avenger really sounds like the ticket. For about $50 more than the edlebrock performer it would be well worth it to have the vacuum port upgrades... and 570cfm would fit better for the calculated spec than 600cfm for my mostly stock 302.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts