Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks

What's the latest with rechromed plastic dash bezels for 68 XR-7? Is there a rechromed center air conditioning rectangle bezel also?

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
you can have your stuff done. I think WCCC has something set up with someone or maybe doing it themselves??

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Paul's Chrome in PA does them, as does Instrument Specialties in RI (I'm waiting for mine to come back from them now). There's always Mr. G's as well, but the track record there is pretty mixed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got mine currently at Chrometech in Madison, WI. It's been a month and he says the parts look great but he still has to detail them. He thought he'd have them finished this week. I'll report when I do get them back.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Paul's Chrome in PA does them, as does Instrument Specialties in RI (I'm waiting for mine to come back from them now). There's always Mr. G's as well, but the track record there is pretty mixed.
Doesn't Paul's Chrome use the method of painting the piece first with a conductive paint then plating real chrome on plastic?

If so, you will have a great looking dash.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Doesn't Paul's Chrome use the method of painting the piece first with a conductive paint then plating real chrome on plastic?

If so, you will have a great looking dash.
Yes, they do. But mine are at Instrument Specialties, although I think they use the same process. I did get my XR-7 dash emblem done by Paul's Chrome and it looks absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just following up as promised. I got my 68 standard dash bezels, a/c vent, and lense cones back today from Chrome Tech USA and they look fantastic. If I knew how to post pics with this reply I'd show before and after but my IT guy never showed me how. ; )

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes, they do. But mine are at Instrument Specialties, although I think they use the same process. I did get my XR-7 dash emblem done by Paul's Chrome and it looks absolutely perfect.
Just curious, if Paul's did such an outstanding job on your dash emblems, why did you not use them for your most recent parts?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The dash emblem went to Paul's after I sent the bezels to Instrument Specialties due to a bit of confusion on my part. Initially, I dropped the bezels off at Instrument Specialties, then dropped some metal parts off at Nu-Chrome. When I mentioned Instrument Specialties to the guy at Nu-Chrome, he told me they just sent everything to Paul's Chrome. When it came time to get the dash emblem done, I just decided to eliminate the middleman and go direct to Paul's. I subsequently learned that Instrument Specialties actually does their own work. I should have the bezels back within a couple of weeks (Paul's was a lot faster on the emblem), so I'll see then what they look like and will post pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
My bezels are done and being shipped back. In the meantime, I learned that the process Instrument Specialties uses is vacuum metallizing, while Paul's Chrome applies a copper layer to the bezels followed by a hard chrome application.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the leads. I talked to John at JCC and he is not redoing bezels anymore due to the high cost and volume of stripper.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Folks,

Here are pictures of the bezels I got done at Instrument Specialties:

The total to strip, rechrome, repair two broken mounts, and detail was $615.00. The time to get it done and back in my hands was about 12 weeks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
OUCH! Beautiful pieces, but kind of a steep price tag...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ditto on the looks great! 12 weeks isn't so bad I could send my spares to be done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts