Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new, rechromed, bumpers. I did an internet search and found that living on the east coast limits me to who can rechrome, since most rechromers are on the west coast in the southern California area. I mentioned to one person that I can get bumpers from Bumper Boyz when they visit Carlisle and got a lecture on California bumpers actually being Mexican bumpers, I should find an American rechromer (I found that most American rechromers were for trucks or motorcycles), etc., etc., etc.
Has anyone from southern California found this to be a problem? Has anyone ever bought from Bumper Boyz? I plan on getting my quarter window trim done separately in Canada. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There a guy on ebay who rechromes for $240. Lifetime guarantee. I dunno, but check it out. Do a search for mercury cougar. I think you have to give him your old bumper. Let me know how the chroming in Canada goes. i need to rechrome the same part as you, but then agin, I'm sure i'm not the only one...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I replaced my rear bumper with a bumper boys bumper and it looks great. The only downside was I picked it up at the shop and the shop is located in the badlands of L.A.:rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
123 Posts
generally, the Bumper Boyz are bad news. There have been problems with them not delivering as promised and a couple of blotched jobs. most people here won't touch them at the swap meets. The Bumper Shop is who a lot of us locals use. But the deal is that both these shops subcontract to each, so go figure.

As far as that Mexican rechroming goes, it is a bunch of baloney as far as L.A. shops go. I've been to most of them and they all do their own work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

What I'm hoping to do is contact one of the rechromers going to Carlisle and swap my core for another bumper. That way I will see what I'm getting then. I'm still trying to find someone local (within 2-3 hours).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jim,
Tri-City Plating out of Tennessee does excellent work . They come to all the Carlisle shows and will take your core as a trade-in. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my rear bumper. Phone 1-800-251-7536. Website is tricityplating.com. Paul's chrome from out around Pittsburgh is also good. Had many things done there with excekkent results. They also come to Carlisle but don't know if they have their own bumper cores or not. 1-800-245-8679

·
Registered
669 Posts
Is there no one near you who does rechroming or do your bumpers actually have to be replaced? I just did the ones off of my '69 Cuda. They had a couple of dings and dents. Had them straightened and rechromed for $240 each. They look incredible!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
What year is your Cougar

I used a place here in So Cal called the Bumper Shop. $160 for a 1967-68 triple chrome plated rear bumper, they did excellent work and delivered the new one as I took off the old one. It has a year warrant as well. Hope this helps
www.thebumpershop.com

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
jimk351c said:
Jim,
I've heard good things about bumper boyz. Also, Don Rush is now brokering for a place that does chroming. My friend just put a set of these on his 70 and they look great.

See ya at the picnic?

-Jim
We are currently doing 300 Cougar bumpers a year and Lin and I have used the same shop since 1992. The advantage we have is that since our plater does so many Cougar bumpers they have special Cougar jigs made up to ensure the correct contours in the correct places. I hate seeing 69-70 rear bumpers that do not look right! The worst I ever saw was on a 67 red std I recently sold on ebay. The unknowing plater took all the curve out of the rear bumper so as to make it look like an early stang bumper! Wonder how long that little project took? Not hearing good things about some of the SoCal discount platers these days... I am impressed by a lifetime warranty, Lin and I have talked of doing that considering problems usually always arise in the first weeks or months if they are going to happen.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Don, its good to hear that your plater has jigs to work from. I will be needing re-plate on my front and rear bumpers and have been holding of because I was worried about the local platers not knowing what shape they are supposed to be. I will be contacting you about these, thanks for letting us know about your plater having the jigs..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
CougZilla-Rex said:
Try this handy dandy rechromer looking for tool! http://www.gy.com/biz/332813/

One thing to note here with this link is that a lot of these companies are actually industrial platers and do not do automotive work.
I printed out a list for my area and after callin around 10 of those listed found that out.
If you use this list, be prepared to spend some time calling these places.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used "The Bumper Chrome Co" (562) 776-8301 or 877-286-7375 out of Bell Gardens CA. They charged me $180 per bumper and $25 per guard. They took my bumpers/guards and rechromed them for me. Turn around time was two days. They travel to the shows around CA and are usually at Pomona. For the local cats, they even do pick ups around SoCal. I was happy with their work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Don, I'm not familiar with the process, what are jigs used for in the process? Probably within the next two years I will need the Cougar bumpers done, but now I need the F100's done.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Not to speak for Don, but the jigs are used to make sure that when they straighten or take any "Kinks" or dents out of your bumpers that they are still the correct contour or shape afterwards. When you do extensive work on a bumper it can change shape and you need jigs (or patterns) to compare to, in order to ensure that they are correct. Even the buffing can change the bumpers shape. As our cars are not that common, a lot of platers would not have any idea what shape they should be, so having the jigs or patterns is a definate asset to return you an accurate bumper. This is especially true on the 1970 front bumpers, as they have a complicated contour.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts