Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A4D1FB11-541C-495C-8EDB-ADFB88413AEF_18.jpg A4D1FB11-541C-495C-8EDB-ADFB88413AEF_24.jpg DSCN1660.jpg DSCN1662.jpg DSCN1658.jpg As a few of you have been aware of, I recently joined this site a few months ago. I am a car entusiast and was starting my search for my perfect cougar. It took about 4 months or so, (actually about a year quicker that I was planning) but I found her a few weeks ago. One of my first posts was me stating that I wanted a 1969 XR7 convertible with a stick. After searching many classic car web sites that get feb from numerous classic car "dealers" and hearing from numerous members on this site about their cougars that were for sale, I saw her on the net a little over a week ago.

There she was, metallic blue, white top, white seats, PS, PB, manual windows,power top, AM radio, no A/C, with a beautiful 390 4V and a factory 4 speed. Numbers matching. She has 112k on her. I went to see her on Memorial Day outside of Philly and walked away needing another day to really feel this out. On Wed the trigger was pulled and I went back up on Sat to pick her up. I rented an auto transport and trailered her home with my Expedition. What a great trip home it was. Best 3 hour ride of my life in quite a while. It really was such a beautiful site looing back in the rear view and seeing her in all her glory.

My kids love her, my wife is going to need a little while longer to warm up to her, but she will. A friend stopped by last Mon after I came home empty handed and brought over his 1965 cherry red Mustang convertible and let me take it for a ride with my boys in the back seat. That was all I needed. My wife really liked the mustang. I like the uniqueness of the cougar. I also have a 2003 Marauder that is a garage queen of sorts too. That is another rare bird as well. Now the Mercury collection is complete. One old, one relatively new.

Attached are some pics. Thanks for reading/looking. I now need to find that cougar site for some parts I might need down the road. Example, the rubber boot around the shifter is torn. The rear seatbelts were never used. They still had the plastic on them. I can't get the "end" free to allow the buckle end to adjust. Pulling doesn't seem to be the answer. I might need to remove the rear seat bench or back. Any popinter on that one? I need to get an owners manual and some books to help me work on her. Any pointers/recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Looks like a very nice cat. Congrats.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She drives well, but there is slight vibration in the ride. I am thinking wheel balance, overtorqued lugs, air pressure to high? I am not thinking rotors as she brakes fine. Now starts the little repairs. I want to get a new rubber boof for the gear shifter where it meets the console. It is torn. I want to change the ignition to electronic. It still has points. Right now I am going to drive her. She really runs strong and sounds great. Thanks for the link.
wow...very nice cougar...can't go wrong with a convertable...she looks in really good shape...how does she drive?

something worth checking out...

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/sm-69.html

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
"What a great trip home it was. Best 3 hour ride of my life in quite a while. It really was such a beautiful site looing back in the rear view and seeing her in all her glory."

I totally get what you mean! What a glorious day...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pertronix ignition is very nice easy to install and remains semi hidden for that stock look....When you get one make sure to get a balck coil paint the top yellow and take off the petronix stick and put one of the stickers that vendors sell for a coil on it....I also upgraded my alternator to a one wire you can also make that look like a stock installation as well...good luck..love the color

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you and appreciate the info. Is the best online place to order from www.cougarpartscatalog as noted above? I need to now start researching a few things.

Pertronix ignition is very nice easy to install and remains semi hidden for that stock look....When you get one make sure to get a balck coil paint the top yellow and take off the petronix stick and put one of the stickers that vendors sell for a coil on it....I also upgraded my alternator to a one wire you can also make that look like a stock installation as well...good luck..love the color

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pertronix I got from Mustang unlimited dont know if WCCC carries it also the stickers...The alt wiring from PA performance(true plug and play) and an alt from autoparts store...do a search on one wire alt in the forums that will explain why a good idea...Good luck with project...I am full of ideas and tricks just ask plus post on forums everyone has ideas that you can pick and chose...My car is not stock but try for a stock/mod apperance...my engine has changed a bunch of times...It looks stock from a non ford guy point of view but for a ford guy you can pick all the things that are non stock...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Here is the twin to your car. WCCC is great (yes I am biased) but as you will find, we all have our niche so in some instances we are buying products from suppliers like Perogie or Mansfield (both supply rare FE parts). When possible you will save money by buying direct, especially if they are located nearer to you than us!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing the video. I saw your post of this a few weeks ago and was drooling. Can't believe I found one. Is that you in the video? Now I have a question. I saw in his vert that reverse is over and up. Reverse in mine is over and down, same side, next to 1&2. Is there meaning in that??
It was great talking to you today and thanks for all the help. Can't wait for the goodies to show up.
Bill
Here is the twin to your car. WCCC is great (yes I am biased) but as you will find, we all have our niche so in some instances we are buying products from suppliers like Perogie or Mansfield (both supply rare FE parts). When possible you will save money by buying direct, especially if they are located nearer to you than us!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That looks like a hurst shifter, they didn't start to use (as far as I know) a hurst shifter until 1970. All the hurst 4 speed linkage I've seen have been over and up. Your stock shifter would be correct.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the reply.
That looks like a hurst shifter, they didn't start to use (as far as I know) a hurst shifter until 1970. All the hurst 4 speed linkage I've seen have been over and up. Your stock shifter would be correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts