Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off this is only my 2nd time rebuilding a transmision, 1st was 4wd c6 that seems to be done right, only has a trip around town on it due to mud still being in the motor(thats another story).
the problem with the c4 is when i put it in drive the rpms dont realy change and it clunks or bangs into gear(hard enough to feal) and seams like it is sliping when i move. the rpms are about 5-900 more than usual, also make a weird noise like something is slideing againts each other but not grinding. i only moved it back and forth in my drive way a few times so i dont know how it acts while going down the road or shifting threw the gears. it does go into and drive in rev like it should though.

what do you all think?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have an update. now it goes into gear like it should and moves forward with out sliping but the noise it was making sound more like its grinding now even when its just siting in drive with my foot on the brake.the grind is not constant either. then i let it idle in nutrel and after a min it seemd like it went to drop in gear with a couple loud and hard bangs that rocked the car before i put it in park and shut it off.

i didnt mess with anything either to get it to go in gear and drive good either, i guse some air had to works its way out.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
hmmmm kemosabe, me thinks you not get it together quite right..? I wouldn't try and drive it any more w/out pulling the pan at the very least. See what you can see at that point....sounds like you may not have the input shaft mated up right, or the drum, or.....who knows. Hopefully you haven't torn anything up to bad yet. Did you yank it as an assembly or just drop the trans out...?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motor and trans came out and went in together. il pull the pan and take a look. hopefully nothing is damadged, i only moved it about 30 foot total.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts