Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C4 is in need of a rebuild this winter. Slipping on third and small metall particles(almost like dust) on the dipstick.

So I'm thinking of a couple of alternatives...
1) Have the C4 rebuilt...
2) Buing a used C4 that doesn't need a rebuild...
3) Buing an AOD instead of the C4...

If #1 is going to cost alot of $$$ I might be inclined to go with #2 or #3 but a rebuilt tranny is nice since I would know for sure that it 100% OK, and with a used on I might get to spend some mone after a few months anyway...
#3 would be nice but would need some higher gears (currently 3.0) but since I want a posi I'm considering getting a complete axle instead of installing a posi in the one I have.
If I'm getting a new axle I can get the gearing I want so that problem solves it self.
But I guess the AOD requires a litle effort and parts and I really have enough on the ToDo-list already so I might give up on those plans...

Suggestions please!!!!
As far as milage goes I have no complaints as it is now but who's complaining about getting some more mpg's anyway...:D
I'm quite happy with my 3.0 gears as far as rpm on the highway and possible topspeed so unless I get an AOD the 3.0 is my way to go...:)

A lot of text here, but I'm guessing a lot of you guys have done this and can recomend one or the other, so please do!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if money and time are a concern go with 2 and 3. course having that extra gear makes it nice on gas, but rebuilding the c4 isnt very expensive.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've heard some bad things about the AOD, maybe the newer ones though. I just heard they weren't very strong... although I don't know how true that is.

Having an extra gear does seem VERY nice. So does a fresh C4.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The only other issue is if you want to keep the car and drive it forever, do whatever you want. If resale is probilbe the C4 being original keeps resale higher.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have been running an AOD in wvcat for 2 years now with no problems at all and it hasn't been rebuilt. I bought a trans out of a wrecked 91 mustang and added a shift kit and a lokar cable and installed it. Any trans 89 or newer has the improved lube circut but the mustang has the proper selector lever. Is it tough? Well I can spin thru 1st & 2nd if I keep the rpms up and it will chirp drive at around 50 mph but I am running a warmed up 351w and a 3:89 trakloc. BTW in case you haven't noticed I love the AOD and will be looking for one for the 66 stang soon. I have a good c4 with a stall converter but I will wait to find an AOD.
John
wvcat

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
AOD for me

When my C4 bites the dust, I am definately going AOD.
I did a search on Ebay for AOD and found a Transmission Shop in Arizona that sells rebuilt transmissions with the converter for $495!
There is a really interesting artilce in this month's Mustang and Fords magazine about installing the AOD in a 67 Cougar.
I do not think the resale value would be hurt by installing an AOD

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hell when my FMX takes a puke id definatly go AOD. the car is a driver and it would be nice to bring teh revs down on the freeway. i have 3.0 Gears, but i figure that i can step those up a bit and if properly chosen, have the revs lower on the freeway at the same time. by the way... what would this cost to perform? give or take.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Winsor Fox has all of the conversion pieces like the cross member and TPS. I think the pieces needed in addition to the cost of an AOD plus the drive shaft shortening (C4's 1 inch shorter.) is about $1,100

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I got luck when I did mine as far as cost. I found a good used trans for $200, $69 for the shift kit, $69 for the lokar cable, $6 for the speedo gear, $15 filter, and $15 for fluid for a grand total of...drumroll please:1poke: $373!!! I did make my own crossmember and the driveshaft, starter and flexplate I reused. Cool huh!!!
John
wvcat

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I'll give you $450 for your kit:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
My roomie just picked up an AOD out of a 90 Mustang 5.0 for $140

thing's in great shape and had only about 40k miles on it. We just put it in one of his 65 Falcons over the weekend, the other one already has a 5.0efi and AOD in it.

OC

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
its not really hard to do on a budget if you can find good parts cheap. Try pick a part or one of those places for a trans, maybe even the recycler. If you can't do fabrication you will have to buy a crossmember and I'm not sure on the 67/68 driveshafts.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm... Difficult one...
My car had a 3spd manual originally so I dont have to worry about (un)matching numbers :)
I checked ratios on the AOD vs C4 and I had gotten in my head that the AOD had a much higher (lower?) 1:st than the C4 but I looked it up and apparently I was wrong 2,40 vs 2,47 isn't that much, so I could keep the 3.0 for a while... hmm... would do 230mph @ 6000rpm (theoretically) (in my dreams... or nightmare :cry: )

Correct me if I'm wrong, for an AOD swap I would need:
*AOD + converter
*Throttle position cable
*Shifter + linkage
*Yoke+driveshaft ??? (I've read that the AOD is only 1/2inch longer so maybe the stock driveshaft could be used? But the yoke doesn't fit?)
*AOD crossmember
*misc stuff like dipstick and coverplate and such.

With all of the above is it a straightforward bolt-on operation?
Am I somewere near correct here?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a really interesting artilce in this month's Mustang and Fords magazine about installing the AOD in a 67 Cougar.
Is that the october issue?
Anyone who has that issue and a scanner? Don't know if I can find that magazine here in Sweden but I'll try...
Sounds like something I would like to read.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I will scan for you.
Subscribing to a Magazine who's article is on the news stand now will not help, although it isn't a bad idea to subscribe to the magazine for the future.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
true i was just letting him know were he could start recieving it. give me your adress and i can pick up a copy and mail it to you.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here's an email I sent to sombody else inquiring about the swap. Keep in mind my car is a 70 with an original fmx but most of this info should be the same.
The AOD swap wasn't to bad. There are some obstacles but they are easy to overcome. The biggest one is the crossmember, you will need a new one. The are available from windsor fox or from Mark Piechowski but beware they may not work with your current exhaust. I tried one from Mark and it would not clear my Hooker headers and pipes. I made one, it was a piece of cake. The rest is a bolt in really. First get a trans thats from an 89 or newer 5.0 mustang, I've been told they have a better lube circut, improved clutches and the right lever to work with our shifters. You will need the trans, converter, block plate & inspection cover, and yoke. The trans bolts right up. one of the trans lines from an FMX lines up perfect but the other is way off. I picked up a set out of the boneyard from a newer style tbird and cut the ends off by the radiator and installed a cooler with hoses conecting it. I didn't hook up my radiator cooler because it had been unhooked for years and I figured it was dirty inside. (I had a 4sp in there but it was a factory FMX car) Working your way back the next situation I came across was the starter nose, it fits but the top hole will be threaded on the trans and the tarter, I drilled the threads out of the starter and used it with no problems. Next thing to hook up is the drive shaft mine worked but I had already changed the yoke for the 4 sp swap, the AOD and 4sp yokes have the same splines. The FMX is different. There is some consideration on the speedometer. The AOD uses an electronic speedo that comes right out and your stock one fits the hole but the teeth on the gear is wrong. I went to the ford dealer and picked up a 21 tooth speedo gear for six bucks to fit a 5.0 mustang and no problems. I am told that if you have a choice to get a trans that comes out of a mustang with 3:23 or lower rear end gears because the use a different gear on the trans shaft (7 or 8 teeth are the choices) thats not replacable without a complete teardown of the trans and a replacment shaft. The next think to tackle is the shift linkage. Before installing the trans you need to pull the selector shaft out and rotate it 180 degrees. I was told that my stack linkage rod would work but when I went to install it it was too short. The thing is I'm not sure that I was trying my stock one or one from another vehicle that was laying around the garage...duh I didn't put it in a safe place when I removed my FMX. Anyway it works out that I have park where its supposed to be and low in the trans shows 2nd on the shifter but it doesn't create a problem and looks stock. One more easy project, the throttle cable. I picked up a lokar cable from a speed shop for 69.95, it was a piece of cake to install but I messed with the adjustment for a while after I started driving the car to get it the way I wanted it. The only other thing I did was install a shift kit and a drain plug on the pan. I'm even using the stock converter. I used the bauman shift kit and it was easy to install. The car runs great and getts a whopping 14 MPG on the highway.........lol Of course I am running alot of cam and 3:89's and my motor would prefer a set of 4:11's. The only downside I can speak of is the inherent quality of an AOD to be clunky for the lack of a better term when goin into OD. This is magnified in my car due to the cam, when it hits OD under part throttle it drops the engine below its power band and it luggs. Under moderate acceleration its not noticable and your results may be different. I have never had my car fast enough for a full throttle AOD shift but it chirps when it hit drive a full throttle, thats probably around the 60-70mph range. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be glad to help you or take pic of mine. Heres a couple sites to check out. http://www.baumannengineering.com/aboutbe.html http://www.windsor-fox.com/
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks alot for all the input guys!

As for the article, a hardcopy would be nice but I don't know how much the postage will be. After all it's crossing the atlantic to get here... It might get expensive. Otherwise a scan would do great!

But anyways...
My email is [email protected] (at work)
and my adress is
Ulf Lindblom
Djurgardvagen 3E
681 54 Kristinehamn
SWEDEN

Just let me know how to repay you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts