Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i have decided after many helpful suggestions to go with the 427, however i don't know how to go bout the process, i want her to be a powerful beast, i want it to be a street and strip ordeal, any suggestions would help, do you think i should go with a highly modified procedure or go somewhat pratical with a few healthy upgrades, if you had the car what would you do?, thanx for ur help

·
11,000 Posts
Totally stock the 427 will scare the crap out of you and your passengers. I recommend you start out as close to stock as possible and get used to it that way. It will also be hard on the rest of the car depending on how careful a driver you are. The stock rear axles, driveshaft and transmission are going to need help just to keep up with a totally stock 427.

After a while with a stock 427 you can start to think about mods. It's like a loaded gun, be sure it is pointed in a safe direction when it goes off!

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Where's my Oh Sh*t handle.....

I agree. Take it slow and grow with it. You won't be able to take the grin off your face!

Regards,
Brian

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You have to remember that the 427 was a large bore/ short stroke engine. It was made for sustained high-RPM use. It will not have the low RPM grunt (torque) of a 428. (428s have a smaller bore but a longer stroke.) Keep this in mind when you are selecting parts for your engine.

·
11,000 Posts
Quote - "You have to remember that the 427 was a large bore/ short stroke engine. It was made for sustained high-RPM use. It will not have the low RPM grunt (torque) of a 428. " - end Quote.

I disagree, owning both I can tell you the 427 is one torquey engine PLUS it winds out fast and it has unreal top end too. It has more low end torque than a 428 and more horsepower on top. The reason is better breathing from a larger bore. It just is better in every way.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Play it safe and don't destroy the motor. No killer mods unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure that the motor can take it. Never waste a FoMoCo motor. Especially the 420 series (7,8,&9). Other wise, I agree with Royce, make sure the chasis and powertrain/driveline can take the abuse. Try a T5 for the new Cobra R's. SUmmit will be your best friend after this car, sounds like. I want to see some ET's when you run it.

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
It just is better in every way.
Oh, um, ahhhhh, well....., ummmm, I...., ahhhh..... Oh hell. You've more than likely forgotten more than I'll ever know.......so I'll just say nothing. lol:p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
Quote - "You have to remember that the 427 was a large bore/ short stroke engine. It was made for sustained high-RPM use. It will not have the low RPM grunt (torque) of a 428. " - end Quote.

I disagree, owning both I can tell you the 427 is one torquey engine PLUS it winds out fast and it has unreal top end too. It has more low end torque than a 428 and more horsepower on top. The reason is better breathing from a larger bore. It just is better in every way.
Royce, could you please explain your opinions on how the bigger bore promotes better breathing? Its just that goes against what I have seen work before.

If you go to any stock car races where they run restricted classes with 2bbl carbs and such you will find alot of small bore, long stroke motors run because they seem to help pull the intake charge into the cyls better. I have seen 383's and 401's with there long stroke, small bore combos stomp 406's and 437's with the short stroke, large bore combinations.

Or are you refering to the larger bores helping by unshrouding the valves?

Just curious to your take on this. mm

·
11,000 Posts
The 428's breathing suffers compared to a 427 because of the smaller bore size. That is why in Nascar racing there were many short track races won by destroked 427's displacing 396 or 377 cubic inches. Watch some of the old races on Speed channel and you will see the displacements painted on the hood. That is also why in stock form the 427 has more torque at a lower RPM.

The most popular of these combinations for racing was the 396 Ford which used a 361 truck crankshaft in a 427 block. It had more horsepower and torque than a sleeved down 427. Holman Moody offered it as a standard catalog item for sale to other racers of the day.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok now at least I see where your coming from with that statment. I do think its off base somewhat though in alot of situations.

Think back to the old NASCAR short track races you mention and remember the circumstances of the day. Those were "short" tracks back then, unlike the longer "short" tracks they run today.

Also the induction systems back then were basically unrestricted compared to todays motors and the heads were extensively modified for really heavy breathing which the large bore motor needs and thrives on for top performance. The reason for the destroked motors were actually more for killing low end torque to keep from causing wheel spin off the corners and to provide really quick acceleration down the short straitaways. The short stroke motor combo you speak of could actully make more torque but it will be up higher in the rpm range.

If the large bore motors with a short stroke was such a power house then why were they not used at the super speedways such as Daytona and Talladega?

I have run open wheel modifieds with several engine combos and know that when your running short dirt tracks that long stroke motors are harder to hook up because they make more touque at a lower rpm in almost all circumstances. In fact the 377 Chevy motor is almost king of the IMCA motors with the large bore short stroke combo but there really unrestricted as far as the induction is concerned and they really like large ports, valves, big cams and carbs. But do they make as much torque as say a 383? No way but thats part of the point of the motor. Now if you restrict the induction to say stock parts and a smaller carb then the longer stroke engine will make more power in most instances.

Now I dont claim to be an expert in FE inductions but will say that the blanket statment you make about the 427's larger bore being "better in everyway" cannot be considered accurate in every situation.

In general I have to agree with Cougarcj that with all things being equal that in most situations his statment is true that the longer stroke 428 will make more torque than the 427 especially if both are equipped with a meak smog era set of heads with a smallish carberator. Like I said I dont claim to know more than you about the differences in the two FE motors we are talking about but if the 427 makes more torque down lower than the 428 the only reason is because of a superior induction setup on the 427.

I have learned in almost 20 years of actuall racing experiance that there are so many variables involved that blanket statments are awfull hard to back up.

Here again I'm not calling you out, I'm just trying to tell if I missed something here. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if you do i suggest going here http://www.genesis427.com/ if that is what you want to do and get a brand new 427 made to order just lower it in and boom 427 power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts