Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make some changes with the stock 302 2v in my 68 XR7. At first I was just thinking I'd add a 4bbl and some headers, but the other day I was under the car and it's leaking oil like a siv. So then I thought I'll just take off the oil case and replace the seal things ( I don't know why but I can't think of the name for them right now, but you know what I mean).

But then I was thinking, maybe it would be less work and more fun to find a 351W and swap out. But I have no idea how much that would cost and if that would even work. Would I have to change a lot of things like the motor mounts and what not?

So I come to this wonderful forum for ideas, have at it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
look in to a stroker kit for your 302. rebuild kits with the basics are cheep and strokers are reasanably priced. the kit is based on your stock block. a new cam, intake, carb will all add up to high HP

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Or you can bolt a 351W right in, and be amazed on the power difference of a stock 351W. Or you can even stroke a 351W to 427 cubes and have a nasty small block :) A 351W wont have to rev hard to get it to move. But it all depends on your wants in the car. If you want a quick reving motor, do a 302 stroker, if you want a fun/fast motor, go with a 351W, and most parts will interchange (alt. p/s. etc.) :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Crate motors are better in the long run than rebuilding the current engine. The Ford Racing catalog has several starting @ $2500 that may sound expensive at first but the machine work on the engine when you rebuild it can be well over $1000 then you have parts cam pistons valves and the gaskets. If you have any cracked components you then have to replace those at additional cost.
I went with a 302 crate engine and the place I got it from shipped it for FREE from Georgia.
My 2¢

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I would get a crate motor too, but in Canada they are double what is advertised :( (consider in taxes,duty, the exchange and shipping) so pretty much a 2500.US motor is 5000 Canadian. :(

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
What ever happened to NAFTA? OUCH!!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
only happens crossing the border from Canada TO the US :) (sorry klenzd for getting off topic).

·
Registered
889 Posts
My Choice........

In a perfect world I would like to find a 427-429cj keep the 390 Ihave in the car put the other one on the stand and slowly build it and then add the 4speed.But its not.But Im always looking.:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Dan,

the 429CJ isn't really all that special. The only parts that are hard to find is the 4-bolt main block. The aftermarket CJ heads are much better and lighter than the original cast iron heads, the intakes available are better than the original cast iron intake, and the CJ carb was a Rochester QuadraJet! The CJ rods were spotfaced instead of broach cut at the rod bolt head. The crank was the same cast iron crank of the standard 429. The pistons were forged flat tops.

I had a 429CJ that I was thinking about putting in AlphaCat, but the added expense of aluminum intake, carb, headers, transmission, brackets and accessories made the swap uneconomical since I already had a freshly rebuilt 351C. I sold the CJ motor, minus intake and carb (the guy didn't want them) for $600.

You're better off going with a bigger motor, like a 460 or a stroked 460 derivitive (you can go from 484, 514 and up to 558CID), adding the aftermarket aluminum heads, aftermarket rods... Much more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
good Idea

The 390 is great buuut finding HP parts is rough.A 460 is much better.Like a serpentine belt ect.But headers might be a problem in my 69,you cant put your finger between the shock towers and th manifold as it is now.There will have to be some fabrcation done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ideas so far...I'd love to replace the engine with a crate motor, the problem is that this is my daily driver right now and so I can't have a lot of down time.

My wife and I are looking at getting another car at the end of this year, so then I won't have to rely on the cat and I can really go wild.

So for now I'm thinking I'll go with a new oil seal and some bolt ons like headers, 4bbl intake and carb and new exhaust.

I'm thinking an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake and Edelbrock carb from what I've read in previous strings, unless anyone has other suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts