Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the bracket that holds up my rearview. The old one really pitted and wouldn't hold the mirror in place. I put in a new bracket, but it still won't hold the mirror in place. It seems like the ball and socket joint where the mirror hooks to the bracket is worn. WCCC claims they can restore the mirror, but does anyone know how good their restoration service is?

·
Registered
457 Posts
MercuryCougar.net and WCCC are one, so be careful of your skepticism haha, but I'm sure Don will have things worked out for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't call it skepticism, just researching :)

Don- Is it possible to tighten up that ball in socket on the mirror during the restoration process?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don- Would replacing that be part of a mirror restoration? If so, how do I go about sending my mirror to you?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don,
I will need to address one for our Eliminator project. What all goes into your mirror restoration??

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I use a clothespin on the sunvisor to rest the mirror on...

I also can't see the inventory on the wccc site.

Dang, and i was working on a list

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don- Would replacing that be part of a mirror restoration? If so, how do I go about sending my mirror to you?
From what I've read of Don's posts, WCCC is not offering to restore the whole mirror assembly. They are resilvering the original glass, which will require you to remove the old mirror/glass before installing the restored one into your original mirror housing. Andrew (of WCCC) is supposed to be making a video showing the removal process.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I looked at the part that Don recommended, but it's for a 68 (mine is a 67). I don't see any way to disassemble my mirror, and even if I did, I didn't see any part on WCCC's site that would fix it. Am I stuck getting the crappy repro, or does any have any advice for me?

·
Registered
81 Posts
As long as the mirror will not require further adjustment after the initial, put a small amount of clear RTV (silicone rubber) on the ball and socket and work in slightly. You probably have ~ 5 minutes of working time before the RTV begins to set up. After ~ 24 hours the RTV will set up and hold the mirror in place.

I did this with my passenger side mirror 3 seasons ago and it has withstood the opening and closing of the passenger door without moving.

May be worth a try.

Larry

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Larry, I'll give it a try!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts