Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tore the old rearend out of the cougar last night. What I have is a 48" wide housing flange to flange that was 53" disc face to disc face + 1" wheel adaptors (total 55" width) ( big bearing ford, versailles disc setup). This rear had ladder bars and coilovers and was obviously narrowed and i cant put leaf spring perches back on. My rear tires are 275/40/18 on a 18x10 rear with 4" back spacing. I want to go back with a stock style suspension but a stock housing is way too wide. The 66 mustang housing is 57 1/4 vrs 67 being 59 or 60. BUT that means new wheels. Anyone have any advice to make my current wheels and tires work.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try a 98 explorer disc setup---narrow the long side to accept a short side axle---move pads to fit-----stock width is 59 11/16 and the short axle is at least 3.5 inches shorter---get your tape out and check

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good choice Doctordesoto. But you don't have to relocate anything and the shortside axel is 3.0 inches shorter, it is a good fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you guys happen to have some pictures to share. What needs to be changed on the driveshaft

1 - 4 of 4 Posts