Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what major design or shape difference there is between a 71 to 73 Mustang Rear Spoiler and the original one for the 69/70 Cougar?

I believe the only difference is in the distance between the pedestals however the wing shape is essentially the same. Is that a correct assumption?

Any help is always appreiated....

Thanks Gang

Dale

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rear spoilers

If they hold the same as Mustang rear spoilers, YES, the shape and overall width of the spoiler wing the same but the distance between pedestals is different. Since the distance between pedestals is different, the spoilers themselves are also that much different. I know this for a fact since my wife's 70 Mach and my friend's 69 Boss 429 have the same spoiler, but my friend's brother's 71 Mach 1 has a different unit. So yes, the 69/70 Mustang spoiler is different than a 71-73 Mustang spoiler.

Don't think you can just bolt on the incorrect year rear wing. It won't fit!! Since the pedestal width is different, the locating holes will be in the wrong place to use the correct inside (underside decklid) reinforcements. The spoiler brackets use one of the trunk hinge to decklid bolts as well as the through studs to the spoiler pedestals. Since the decklids have different underside profiles due to the different size openings, the locating holes will be too far out of alignment to be held properly by the reinforcing bracket.

Your best bet is to measure an original Eliminator with a wing and see if it is the same as a Mustang unit. Since Mustang vendors have repros available, you might luck out.

Good luck

Cougrrcj

·
Registered
109 Posts
The measurement of a '69 Eliminator spoiler between the pedestals is 31 inches and a '70 Eliminator is 36 inches. The repo spoilers listed for '69-70 is 36 inches. Only the 70 Eliminators had the inside trunk support brackets for the spoiler. The '69 original spoilers were plastic molded and the '70's were fiberglass and were heavier, thus the need for support brackets and a trunk prop rod. Original '69 spoilers carry a heavy price tag if you can find one that isn't warped all out of shape. Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will make the purists shutter!

Thanks for all the info and help guys....I guess what I was trying to find out is this. I have found an excellent 71 Mustang Spoiler that measures 33" between the Peds. I want to put it on a 70 Cougar. Are they close enough in shape and design that it isn't going to look way out of whack or should I keep searching for the real McCoy?

The car is far enough gone that it wouldn't be practical to bring back to original and if I am going to create a fun toy out of her....then I thought I would create a poor mans "Eliminator Clone" for this one.

The good stuff that I have collected so far, I want to save for the real McCoy (true "Blue"70 Eliminator) which I have a line on now.

Anyway, what do you think....close enough or ????

Thanks again guys.

Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts